five note run midi

Have questions? Just saying hello? This is the place.
No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
court12b

Post by court12b »

Hi. I'm trying to learn the standard five note interval warmup run used by most choir teachers but I'm not having any luck.

It's the arpeggio 123454321 (do ray mi fa so fa mi ray do) and then it goes up a step and repeats.

Honestly I expect it's already in Synthesia somewhere but I don't know what it would be called.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

court12b wrote: 11-03-22 9:01 amHonestly I expect it's already in Synthesia somewhere...
I think the closest thing that's included are the octaves under the "Scale Exercises" section of the song list. I'm not familiar with the interval warmup you mentioned, but from your description, it doesn't sound like that's exactly what's in Synthesia.

Does it sound like the one mentioned last in the list under "2. Humming" on this page? (It looks like they linked the "Descending" version twice, even for the "Ascending" link... so the file there doesn't match the description.)
Bavi_H

Post by Bavi_H »

Here's a version I remember.

I included fingerings in a .synthesia file, but... I don't think I've ever played this with my left hand before. I assigned the left hand fingerings as just the reverse of the right hand fingerings.
Attachments
vocal-warm-up.zip
(1.13 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
court12b

Post by court12b »

Thanks a ton!
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

I am not big on piano finger exercises but I have not encountered "the standard five note interval warmup run used by most choir teachers" as a finger exercise for piano. The exercises given the most weight in the instruction I have had are two hand diatonic scales of 1, 2, and 3 octaves in all 12 keys. I believe the skill they are trying to impart is making the finger crossovers instinctive for the various note patterns you are most likely to encounter, which most likely will be snippets of one scale or another. The 5 note vocal warmup does not require a finger cross-over and the move up a step is not something that requires intense practice, so I am not sure this warmup has much value on piano. If you are a choir teacher who wants to learn this warmup for leading a choir, then that is an entirely different matter of course.

It is critical that you have good fingering information for any finger exercise that you use as practicing exercises with bad fingering is worse than not doing the exercise. I would recommend finding one, and only one, exercise book that you like and using exercises and fingerings only from that book. If you use more than one book you may run into differences of opinion about fingering and you will lose any sense of the order of exercises that might be implicit in the book.

Hanon is a classic book for exercises but it is quite old and is more appropriate if your goal is learning classical piano. Hanon has also attracted a good bit of criticism about the soundness of its pedagogy but that may be more about being the top name for so long. If your interest is more in modern and popular piano, this book might be worth a look: https://www.amazon.com/Piano-Fitness-Co ... 1423493060

I would strongly encourage you to learn to create your own MIDI and XML files so you can use whatever book you choose. MuseScore is an excellent free program that can create music files. It isn't all that hard to learn to prepare basic music. Piano exercises will also be good exercises for learning MuseScore.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/