Synthesia occasionally crashing on Apple Silicon

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
Chompy

Post by Chompy »

Is it normal for Synthesia to occasionally crash when I change a song's instruments while previewing it or doing anything else?
Because it seems to have a low to medium chance of just entirely quitting on its own. :?

I'm on MacOS 12.5.1 with Apple Silicon (M1) and with 16GB of RAM, so Synthesia shouldn't crash that often... :?
The version of Synthesia I am running on is 10.8.5687

To put it bluntly, 16GB RAM means that Synthesia would be able to handle far more notes than 4GB RAM can.
Maybe it might be crashing because its just the first release ever to support M1? The first few releases will always be a little unstable. ;)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Are the crashes happening when you preview percussion tracks? Starting in macOS 12, Apple just introduced a new crash when you send their synth a bad MIDI event. And because of that, I just found out that Synthesia has been sending a bad MIDI event when you preview a percussion track for going on something like 10 years now.

It's fixed in the latest 10.9 dev preview (which just went out yesterday, coincidentally). :)
Chompy

Post by Chompy »

It's happening on any instrument. This has a small chance of happening. Usually if you click it, etc.

Also, on older versions of macOS (namely 10.6.8+, I could change the soundFont by using a software in WINE to convert the soundFont to DLS, and then drag the DLS file into the CoreAudio component file to overwrite the default DLS file thus improving the sounds, which is no longer possible, as trying to overwrite the DLS file with another DLS causes a message to come up saying "You do not have permission to overwrite this file" or something like that. Is there a good software synth that actually works with macOS, or am I stuck until the Video Creator merges with the game? However, since Apple Silicon came in, you need WINE version 6, which may not work that well with Windows software. SimpleSynth never works with later versions of Mac OS X past 10.6.8

Apple has improved their DLS a lot since Mac OS X 10.6, which I commend them for, but its still fairly low quality, and I don't really enjoy that cheap sound, but it was horrible on earlier versions of macOS like 10.6.8
Chompy

Post by Chompy »

I kinda also forgot about note colours - when is that coming? I remember suggesting complete freedom of note colours way back when Synthesia 10.0 was out - its 10.9 dev preview, and still same old colours to choose from! :lol:
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hmm, strange. If you can find any crash reports afterward, that would be useful to see. Please send anything like that you find to support@synthesiagame.com and hopefully I'll be able to track down what's going wrong.

(And now that Synthesia 11 should be coming much sooner than expected, arbitrary note colors should be following pretty shortly afterward.)