Support for Musescore files

Collaborate with other modders to make Synthesia the way you want it.
Always the latest versions: [ colors.xml | ui.xml ]
Read the Getting Started topic to learn how important it is to MERGE YOUR CHANGES every time you download a new dev preview.
MSQE

Post by MSQE »

I will like that synthesia have a support for .mscz files of MuseScore
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Just export as .musicxml and it'll work in the latest versions of Synthesia (eventually with as much nuance as you'd be able to get out of the same .mscz file, by the time Synthesia 11 is released).
MSQE

Post by MSQE »

That i want is support for sf3 musescore general soundfont :)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Try the latest 10.9 development preview. It can load SF3 SoundFont files.
MSQE

Post by MSQE »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
bluestreak711

Post by bluestreak711 »

I came here to post about this very thing. Yes, you can export midi files that will play in Synthesia, but the Sheet Music aspect of synthesia is severely lacking and very buggy. Falling notes is great for absolute beginners, but eventually people need close to accurate generated sheet music to practice by. Flow Key has a very limited selection for free and some good songs that require a monthly membership to access, but it is still limited. Soft Mozart seems like the ideal software, but it requires a very expensive monthly membership.

I strongly believe Synthesia can be just as good or better if the sheet music bugs were fixed. I believe that direct support for MuseScore Files and Synthesia being able to draw the Sheet Music syntax on the screen pulled directly from a mscz file would be most ideal
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

I believe that direct support for MuseScore Files and Synthesia being able to draw the Sheet Music syntax on the screen pulled directly from a mscz file would be most ideal
What you really want is support for MusicXML, which is already partially here and is in the process of being completed. MuseScore can export MusicXML, which includes the sheet music information.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
bluestreak711

Post by bluestreak711 »

That is awesome to hear!!! The biggest complaint I hear about Synthesia is that it supposedly can't teach you music and only to memorize notes. It gets way too many undeserved bashings on r/piano and similar threads, but after musicxml is fully integrated, it should rival and surpass Soft Mozart and Flow Key in its features. Both the aforementioned rivals cost money and are limited to limited preselected songs. Having accurate sheet music in the software and knowing the correct fingering is the only thing holding back Synthesia and I think the community may help with figuring out fingering.

I am really passionate and excited about Synthesia project and I would like to know how I can get more involved and help with the development of the software. I bought my personal license years ago and probably will purchase a commercial license at some point if I ever start teaching or when we get a bit of extra money just to help fund the project.

On a scale of 1 to 5 with 1 being a novice, 2 a beginner, 3 an intermediate, etc, I would rate myself as a 2 as a programmer. I have had minimal college courses geared towards web design and I do study some programming on my own. I do not feel like I could write a big lump of useful code from scratch, but I do feel like I am able to make minor edits to code, xml files etc.

I am a musician trained in a very niche style and I would rate myself 4/5 as musician in that style, decently skilled in other styles and reasonably well rounded in all aspects of music. I occasionally use MuseScore and Synthesia to help other people, but I primarily use it to advance in self study. I either find or develop my own coursework and plug it into Musescore and out to Synthesia to help myself get a feel for the mechanics I want developed.

So, do you guys think you may have a place on the team somewhere or have suggestions how I can contribute more meaningfully?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

bluestreak711 wrote: 12-17-22 5:54 pm... or have suggestions how I can contribute more meaningfully?
Thanks for the kind offer. While I'm not looking for any programming help at the moment, something I'm often at a loss for is musical expertise. My background in music is probably closer to that 2 (or maybe 2.5) out of 5, so when experts come around and offer advice on things that I've overlooked or didn't know about, Synthesia usually ends up the better for it. I am always eager to hear that kind of feedback.
bluestreak711

Post by bluestreak711 »

Nicholas wrote: 12-20-22 2:58 pm
bluestreak711 wrote: 12-17-22 5:54 pm... or have suggestions how I can contribute more meaningfully?
Thanks for the kind offer. While I'm not looking for any programming help at the moment, something I'm often at a loss for is musical expertise. My background in music is probably closer to that 2 (or maybe 2.5) out of 5, so when experts come around and offer advice on things that I've overlooked or didn't know about, Synthesia usually ends up the better for it. I am always eager to hear that kind of feedback.
When there is something to bring up, do I just make a new post here in the forums under the tech / feature section or do you have an email where you prefer them to be sent. There are a few things I would like to mention. When creating a loop in Synthesia to practice a section, the loop only conforms to the measure. In version 9 and earlier versions, I was able to start and stop the loop exactly in the areas of music I needed to repeat. Limiting the loop to start/stop exactly on the measure lines forces us to start/stop in awkward places just to get to the part we want to practice.

I would also say to try the free sample of Soft Mozart software to get some ideas. The problem with Soft Mozart is that they charge a very expensive monthly fee to rent their software and services, but their progression style from falling notes to sheet music is very good. 1) They start with falling notes like Synthesia with each note being a specific color. 2) They turn the notes horizontally retaining the colors. 3) They take away the colors and you are looking at standard sheet music.

Synthesia gets a lot of unnecessary hate in r/piano and facebook groups because quote, "It doesn't actually teach you piano," and it gripes me to hear it. If we make it more popular to share the full fingering for Synthesia midis as it is the midis and with the implantation of musicxml, I think a lot should start to change in the younger, not set in their ways, people. I can map out a lot of fingering myself, but occasionally will hire somebody to map out fingering to a song in a completely different style. I was paying one guy about $0.50 per measure per minute because the bass clef is often predictable and I might just need the treble clef.

I also made a full online written guide with pictures about working with the fingering metadata after having to reformat my pc once and losing all my fingering progress. Would making a new post in this forum be appropriate for posting that?

There are two more things I would like to mention.

1) Have you seen this guy who learned Kiss the Rain by Yiruma with only six months of synthesia and no musical background? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDu8RG-cPH4

2) I would like to talk to you about Shape Notes, specifically Aiken's seven note system (not sacred harp), how it was used hundreds of years ago to teach music theory to those who were poor and could not afford to study in depth. They are still used in some prominent music schools in the south and it accompanies the 'do re mi' type solfege. Shape notes can help with both understanding how to read music and learn to play by ear. I would have to explain how that works in a bit more detail at a later time. It is used in the Red Back Church Hymnal and a few other books printed in the south. Instead of the fuzzy animal shapes Soft Mozart uses, you could consider the using shape notes.