Synthesia for Android

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

No ETA yet.

Things are still progressing nicely though. We've got external MIDI device support up and running and are working out the kinks. After that there are lots and lots of small things still missing, but nothing too tricky. Completing external MIDI device support is the last of the really risky tasks.

Beta will probably open up once all the little things are wrapped up. Then the full release should happen shortly after Synthesia 10 goes out the door (assuming we get enough beta feedback and are able to tackle any challenges that you guys discover).
techguy101

Post by techguy101 »

Hey i was wondering if you could make Synthesia avalable for android phone's
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Initially the Android version will be tablet-only. There are some challenges to tackle before the interface makes sense on a screen any smaller than that. The answer isn't as simple as shrinking all the buttons down.
Seto

Post by Seto »

When will it be available for test? I can't wait to check it out.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Actually, we're drawing pretty close to the beta. All the major work except in-app purchasing is done. Otherwise, there are a few loose ends to tie up and then we'll post a beta version that has roughly the same features from the QoL 3 preview. (The track splitting work is happening in a separate code branch.)

The beta will last as long as it takes to finish Synthesia 10, at which point it will launch simultaneously with 10.
garcia2100

Post by garcia2100 »

Hey, I was just looking up to see if there was an Android app of Synthesia, and i am happy to hear one is being worked on.

I used synthesia at a friends house and it was amazing. I have a piano in my house that ive had for over a year, but its hard to start. I feel this software might help me more, but I don't have a laptop to have by the piano but i did just get a nexus 7 recently, I hope the nexus 7 screen is big enough to comfortably use.

Anyway I am very much looking forward to this. I hope it comes out soon, and if you are in need of beta testers you can count me in as well.

I have one questions, im sure the app will work the same way as on PC, specifically, i guess there would be a folder in the Nexus 7 where i can put in my own MIDI files that i find on the web? Like some of the Final Fantasy ones you see on youtube, and more.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

garcia2100 wrote:I hope it comes out soon, and if you are in need of beta testers you can count me in as well.
Yep, beta is actually going to be pretty soon. Hopefully in the next few weeks.
garcia2100 wrote:i guess there would be a folder in the Nexus 7 where i can put in my own MIDI files...
Exactly correct. The usual "Music" folder on your device should work fine, but any path is supported. The "Songs" menu in Settings works the same as it does on the desktop version (vs. Synthesia for iPad where apps are only allowed to access their own sandboxed storage area.)
techguy101

Post by techguy101 »

I think android has a built in synth.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I can confirm it does (and Synthesia for Android uses it). It's just hard to access and not well documented. :D
Katka

Post by Katka »

Sweet! You have no idea how happy I am to hear that synthesia is coming out on android.

Happy to help test it when it reaches beta, I'm good at accidentally crashing programs. :)
Yasje

Post by Yasje »

is it ready? i cant wait much longeR!!! :O
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The first beta is available! Go join and let us know how it goes!
Reefius

Post by Reefius »

Google Play tells me it is incompatible with all my devices :cry:

I have a Nexus 5 phone and an Asus TF101 tablet.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I understand the Nexus 5, because of the small screen (it qualifies as a phone, not a tablet)... but the Transformer should work. Which version of Android is it running? The beta should work with 3.1 or later. (Android 3.1 added support for USB-OTG cables, so anything earlier than that can't talk to MIDI keyboards.)