9 Preview r2411 - Window sizing

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

PREVIEW r2411
Download from the pink box above.

Changes in r2411 since (official 8.6) r2371 release:
  • The main Synthesia window can now be resized at any time.
  • Use Alt-Enter on Windows or the full-screen button on OS 10.7+ to toggle full-screen.
  • New cursors: I-Beam in text boxes and pointer-finger when hovering over buttons.
  • Music Store metadata now updates automatically to handle songs released in the future.
  • The configuration tool no longer includes video mode or window size options.
  • Removed software cursors in favor of typical OS hardware cursors.
  • The "Gameplay.BackgroundImagePath" setting can now handle quoted paths.
People I'd like to hear from:
  • OS X 10.5/10.6 users: Does Synthesia run correctly? Can you change the window size?
  • ATI/AMD graphics card users: How does resizing feel? Any quirks? Clearing the window to white is normal during resize. Any differences between the OpenGL and DirectX renderers?
Being able to change the window size whenever feels really nice! With that out of the way, I've got a few music store tasks (including getting those free samples posted) and then it's translation time! I'm shooting for the entire Synthesia 9 release to be finished a week or so into October. We'll see if I get there. ;)
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

No probleme here with an AMD Radeon HD 6450.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Seems to work on GeForce 6800

Bug?
After lunching and messing around in menus. (never play) it changed some scores, in scores.xml.
It looks like the scores just went down by one. (7877 to 7876) (8043 to 8042) There is 20+ changes like that.

Note: This bug may not be new.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Raymond wrote:It looks like the scores just went down by one. (7877 to 7876) (8043 to 8042) There is 20+ changes like that.
Interesting. I would be alright chalking things up to rounding error someplace. Maybe a behind-the-scenes library update caused the math to be a tiny bit different. Still, keep an eye on them and let me know if they keep sliding in the same direction. One point is a non-issue. But if it's slowly whittling scores away a point at a time, that's more serious.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Based on a quick observation I think there may be a minor bug with regard to selection of Sheet Music view. In a non-registered copy of Synthesia on a PC, I select Sheet Music view and do Watch and Learn on an unlocked song. I then select a different unlocked song and do Watch and Learn. While the Sheet Music view button is shown as depressed, there is no sheet music shown. If I click Off and then Sheet Music, the sheet music is shown. This also occurs in 8.4 so it is not a new issue.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I just tried the steps and wasn't able to reproduce. When I click "Sheet Music" again (in a locked song) I get a little message box that describes sheet music as being a Learning Pack feature. Is there a little padlock icon next to the sheet music toggle button? Are you sure the second song is a locked song? Are you sure your copy doesn't have the Learning Pack unlocked?
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Second song is an UNlocked song. The second song has the button depressed for Sheet Music view but sheet music is not shown. Hope this helps.
Jim Henry
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Alright, I overreacted the first time because I thought I was reading there was some exploit that let you have LP features without the LP. :?

I read your post more carefully this time. Though, I still can't seem to reproduce. I've tried each combination of the button being pressed/not-pressed with the current/previous song being locked/unlocked. In all cases things have behaved correctly: sheet music has appeared on unlocked songs and hasn't on locked songs.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

If you go from an unlocked song with Sheet Music selected to a second unlocked song, does the buttons show Sheet Music selected without you doing anything? That is what I see. I then continue and there is no sheet music on the player page. What it seems like is that you clear all LP features when a new song is selected in an unregistered version but that doesn't get reflected in the Sheet Music button status. I just tried unlocked to locked song and the Sheet Music button was depressed on the locked song page. Of course sheet music did not display but since I didn't have a reason to press the Sheet Music button, I didn't see the drop down window until I cycled the button to Off and then back to Sheet Music. I think it is just a matter of needing to sync the Sheet Music/Off buttons with the flag that controls whether sheet music is to be displayed.
Jim Henry
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

This was kind of rushed, but this is the behavior I'm seeing. Maybe something in there will tip you off to whatever it is we're testing differently.

jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

This is a really subtle bug. I think you have to click "Continue" rather than "Watch and Listen" to get to the player screen to reproduce the behavior I reported.

When I clicked "Watch and Listen" following your exact sequence, I got the same results as you. Further, the correct behavior seemed to stick for awhile even when I used "Continue". However, after cycling around a few times using "Continue" I was able to reproduce the behavior I reported initially.

I found another similar anomaly:
Select "March On Android Moon"
Continue
Select sheet music Off
Continue
[no sheet]
Back
Select Sheet Music
Continue
[sheet]
Back
Select sheet music Off
Songs
Select "Greensleeves"
Continue
[sheet music Off is selected]
Continue
[sheet]

However, I can't reproduce this one consistently either. I only need to bounce back and forth between unlocked songs to demonstrate the issue. As far as I can tell, it always requires using "Continue" rather than "Watch and Listen" to demonstrate the issue.

I would consider this to be an issue as well:
Select "March On Android Moon"
Continue
Select Sheet Music
Continue
[sheet]
Back
Songs
Select "Habenera from Carmen"
Continue
[Sheet Music is selected]
Continue or Watch and Listen
[no sheet]

The issue is that I think the Learning Pack window should be displayed rather than going to the Player.

My suggestion would be to implement logic that always sets the state of the song, including the button state, to sheet music off when you transition from the song selection screen to the song launcher screen if Synthesia is unregistered. I think this will make all the above behaviors go away.
Jim Henry
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Unregistered version is a red herring. I tried this type of sequence on my registered iPad version and I also went from a song with sheet music display to another song where the Sheet Music button was already selected because of the previous song and, using Continue, the was no sheet music displayed in the player window. Using Watch and Play the sheet music was displayed.
Jim Henry
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

jimhenry wrote:... This also occurs in 8.4 so it is not a new issue.
Synthesia 8.6 patch notes wrote:CHG: Using the "Menu Continue" shortcut (Enter by default) from the simple song view will now activate the selected mode button instead of simply playing the song using the previously used (advanced) settings.
There was definitely an inconsistency pre-8.6 in the behavior of pressing Enter vs. using one of the simple buttons. Looking at the code, the Continue button still uses the old code-path, too. That explains it.

Hopefully changes coming early on in Synthesia 10 development cycle (like, in the next few weeks) will solve this inadvertently. I've been meaning to split the underlying settings storage for songs so that the advanced view and simple view can be saved independently. During that transition, the plumbing on that screen will be getting reworked to the point that the bug should no longer happen.
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

Now we need some lyrics scroller, similar to the new and great transcripts from YouTube, here one great example, if you did not knew this music you learned something. ;) Three lines would be great, one previous line, current line, next line. The previous line can fade out after 3 seconds or so after it changed to current line. Just a few ideas.

TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

If you play more with Synthesia you might be able to feel and create music like below. :)

Wikipedia writes about the main musician of Diary of Dreams:
Adrian Hates is a classically trained guitarist and pianist who started out as the guitarist for Garden of Delight. He initiated the Diary of Dreams project in the late 1980s, taking the name from one of his early classical guitar compositions, "Tagebuch der Träume."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diary_of_Dreams

Xoco

Post by Xoco »

Cool! with this version I can show Synthesia and notepad with lyrics.
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

Or some midi player with karaoke display, where midi output is muted there, to be used only for its lyrics display.