8.5 Preview r2279 - Release Candidate

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
davel

Post by davel »

can you let me rename the file. That along with sort by name should do it.
Mos

Post by Mos »

How about allowing a skydive folder to be accessed and used as a storage space for the MiDI. You can then inherent the organization there and have playlists or folders in the ipad version automatically. That would also allow for easy sharing between the pc and ipad version. I generally search for midi in my computer and rarely connect my ipad to the pc.

Ps. I know that not everybody has skydive and that will be a problem. But it might be an option for those who want to use it.
DC64

Post by DC64 »

Mos wrote:How about allowing a skydive folder to be accessed and used as a storage space for the MiDI. ... That would also allow for easy sharing between the pc and ipad version.
That's not a bad idea. Although I think a Dropbox folder could also work.
"And now for something completely different."
Mos

Post by Mos »

I just thought of another use for skydrive/dropbox integration: for teachers, they can hook up the same shared folder to all their students pc/ipads. That way, they save a lot of time and can push midi to them easily :)
davel

Post by davel »

Can I delete midi files directly in the ipad.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

davel wrote:Can I delete midi files directly in the ipad.
Yep, in the song library you can delete externally added songs. (The built-in songs can't be deleted.)
  1. Select a song.
  2. Tap the little red-circle-minus thingy on the right side of the preview bar at the top of the screen.
  3. Confirm that you're sure you want to delete in the box that pops up.
davel

Post by davel »

Thanks I was wondering what the red thingy was
Korados

Post by Korados »

Hey Nicholas,

I just wanted to write you about a pretty annoying bug that I experienced in some MIDIs for along time now. You know about the endless note thing which I have with Coolsoft
where the notes are sounded forever but this time it's that the notes are visually shown without a sound. I switched the Never-Ending notes to Dropped but this didn't help. I have one MIDI where
10 notes are constantly shown for the whole 20-minutes piece and block the sight on the notes that should be seen, which is very irritating. Is there something I could do about this?

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Send me that file (support@synthesiagame.com) so I can take a look at it! Thanks!
613Skier

Post by 613Skier »

My first time playing since updating from 8.2

Maybe I'm not use to the new format but I kind of liked the old interface/display navigation of 8.2 better than 8.5

It could be that I'm just resistant to change, and I need to play the new version more to get used to it, just my $0.02
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

You can get a little closer to the old look by switching to the Synthesia Classic color theme under Settings. Hopefully that makes the transition easier!
613Skier

Post by 613Skier »

I'm a little confused as to how you turn off different midi tracks in the newer version. In the old one it was simple & straight forward, in this version I can't figure out how to put instruments to not shown, not played
613Skier

Post by 613Skier »

Okay, I figured out how; but it's not as nearly straightforward as it used to be with the drop down menu!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Do you just mean discoverability-wise it's not straightforward?

Because clicking it once to change from shown to not shown is about as straightforward as it gets. (The copy/paste mechanic has similarly been replaced with a much simpler drag interface.)
613Skier

Post by 613Skier »

What can i say? I'm an 83' Year old man trapped in a 29 year olds body that is resistant to change lol
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Korados wrote:I have one MIDI where 10 notes are constantly shown for the whole 20-minutes piece and block the sight on the notes that should be seen, which is very irritating. Is there something I could do about this?
Thanks for sending those MIDI files along. Sorry for the wait!

It looks like each one is just a malformed MIDI. I tried opening them in a couple other MIDI editors and they showed up the same with endless notes. (The jsrap4gm file even loaded with 8552 measures in my version of Cakewalk! It failed to load in Sekaiju.)

What's going on there is that the Note Off messages aren't paired with their Note On messages correctly. Some may be missing or the next Note On happens before the previous note's Off. So it ends up looking like one note that never ends with a very, very short (instantaneous) note along the way.

With a low-level MIDI event editor you might be able to nudge things around until it made sense. Or just delete the endless notes and replace them with correctly-timed notes. But this is just a case of Synthesia doing the best with what it's given.
Korados

Post by Korados »

Thank you for your reply and your efforts, don't bother about the time. I hope the development of Synthesia is going well! ;)

Ok, so it isn't Synthesia's fault. Unfortunately, I never did MIDI editing so I have no idea about this. I just download the MIDIs.
I tried to get into the editing stuff a bit some months ago but it confused me right away so I stuck with just listening to them.

What's more important: Is there a new revision of Synthesia coming up in the next time?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Korados wrote:What's more important: Is there a new revision of Synthesia coming up in the next time?
I'm about to dive back into development.

There was a tremendous amount of support catch-up going on and a lot of behind-the-scenes IT stuff (the site, server, and other webservices are about to transition -- hopefully without interruption -- to a different provider). But all of that is wrapping up just in time to start knocking out some of the new features I've been talking about over the past month.
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Good to ear well take u're time we have a good builds for to play with :)