Synthesia 11 Release Estimate

Try new versions before anyone else!
Always the latest dev version: [ win ] [ mac ] [ android: beta opt-in or apk ]
Please report comments and bugs!

Your data hasn't disappeared: development previews store their data in a different place. Details here.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

I wonder if MuseScore can read all, or at least most, of the MusicXML possibilities. If so, then supporting only MusicXML that MuseScore writes in Synthesia, and relying on a read/write cycle in MuseScore for anything else might be a good starting point for Synthesia support of MusicXML.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I'm not too worried about it either way. Again, this has been a reasonably pleasant experience so far (even if there are lots of possibilities to cover) that hasn't exceeded any of the existing MIDI-based infrastructure (yet).

The status update was more about the slow velocity due to real-world stuff than it was about any struggles with the work itself. I was mostly just chatting about the progress so I'd have something else to say besides bad news. :)

When it's all said and done, I know Synthesia is only going to use a subset of the spec when generating sheet music (easily omitting <harp-pedals> among dozens of other examples), but the goal is for the actual notes loaded from the file that appear in the falling note area to always be correct regardless of what's in the file. I want Synthesia's MusicXML compatibility (at least in that sense) to be as good as it is with MIDI files: I like being able to claim "you can load anything" without any caveats. Of course there's always the "garbage-in, garbage-out" problem and there will certainly be some files you probably won't want to load, but I'd prefer covering a few different app's peculiarities to telling people they have to re-save it someplace before Synthesia can handle it.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Nicholas wrote: 08-13-21 1:25 pm (easily omitting <harp-pedals> among dozens of other examples)
I don't think I have ever seen a post from someone using Synthesia to practice harp music. But, from what little I know about the harp, it is actually not so different from a piano. So maybe harp pedal notation should be toward the top of the list of omitted items that might be added later.

Supporting drum notation will probably be more work than harp notation. But if there was support for mapping falling notes for the basic keyboard drum sounds, probably less than ten, to the appropriate sheet music drum notation, the ability to use Synthesia to learn keyboard drumming would be an interesting extension of Synthesia's capabilities into an area that probably is of a lot of interest but underserved with learning resources. One of the bigger problems might be that drum notation relies heavily on repeat notation.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

All this work on MusicXML looks awesome! I understand that this is a very satisfying challenge for you.

However, in my opinion, pitch-based color for falling notes should have a higher priority in your list because:
- all guitar hero games have this feature
- it's even more complicated to find your way with the 88 keys of a piano than the 6 strings of a guitar
- this feature is very close to the initial purpose of Synthesia and it would help a lot piano beginners
- it seems easier to implement than MusicXML as there are fewer parameters

Thank you for your work and all my wishes for your real-world stuff.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Pitch-based color is coming before Synthesia 11 is complete. :D

Right now it's on line 631 of the list (or 208 lines from the end if you want to use the chart in the top post as a countdown).
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Then, reverse the list! :lol: