Synthesia 11

Try new versions before anyone else!
Always the latest dev version: WindowsmacOSiPadAndroid (or .apk)
Please report comments and bugs!

Your data hasn't disappeared: PC/Mac development previews store their data in a different place. Details here.
monkel

Post by monkel »

Excellent news all around, thanks!
phoegh

Post by phoegh »

Nicholas wrote:To my ear, the upcoming Windows 10 GS synth's output latency is as fast as a keyboard's synth!
This is AWESOME NEWS!!! When are they releasing the GS Wavetable synth MIDI update???
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

They already have (in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update last August). To use it though, each MIDI-enabled app has to make changes to support Microsoft's new API. So, I suppose I meant "the upcoming [support in Synthesia for the updated] Windows 10 GS synth..."

In any event, we're down to the "a few days at most" time-scale before the preview will be released. (It has been a long time coming!)
phoegh

Post by phoegh »

Nicholas wrote:They already have (in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update last August). To use it though, each MIDI-enabled app has to make changes to support Microsoft's new API. So, I suppose I meant "the upcoming [support in Synthesia for the updated] Windows 10 GS synth..."

In any event, we're down to the "a few days at most" time-scale before the preview will be released. (It has been a long time coming!)
Ah I see, Well thank you for being ahead of the curve. I will definitely utilize the Windows 10 GS synth in synthesia 11 to show everyone that Microsoft is finally making it happen!

Do you have the Microsoft link that says they updated the GS wavetable synth? I want to show it to some people. Thanks!
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

phoegh wrote:Do you have the Microsoft link that says they updated the GS wavetable synth? I want to show it to some people. Thanks!
Maybe this will help?
https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/ ... indows-10/
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
cmplays

Post by cmplays »

Will MusicXML support be included in the preview, or is that still in the future?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Check the top post. The 3rd preview will be able to open MusicXML files but only to use them like MIDI is today. The 4th preview will be the one that adds proper support for all the extra goodies that MusicXML has over MIDI.

We'll see what happens, but for as little as you're about to see on the list of changes for this first preview, it was a major undertaking with a handful of big technology additions. I suspect the next two after this will each be smaller efforts. So don't despair that it's going to be a few more years before Synthesia 11 is released! With any luck, it might be a little sooner. ;)
cmplays

Post by cmplays »

So this upcoming preview will be the 3rd preview already?

Also, will it automatically split between LH and RH if you import from MusicXML?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The upcoming preview is the 1st preview. (It's a little confusing now. The pair marked "Complete" in the top post were originally intended to be Synthesia 11 previews. But those bug fixes turned out to be a little too important to leave until the end of a major development cycle, so we released them as Synthesia 10.3 instead. I keep going back and forth whether I should just delete those two "preview" entries from the top post. Sorry for the confusion!)

In any event, all of that means it will be a little while longer before Synthesia opens MusicXML files. Tentatively, when it does, the parts listed on the "Hands, Colors, and Instruments" page will probably be broken down by which staff the notes appeared in the original file.
sage789

Post by sage789 »

I use a 2013 Macbook Air. Will the preview run as well on it as Windows 10? Or as well as the current Synthesia 10.3? (I dont have any trouble with 10.3). I have a USB to midi into my Yamaha CVP. Thanks and congrats on the progress!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

It should. The macOS synth is already very fast! So, none of the MIDI infrastructure changed on the Mac side. All the other new stuff is there and working though.
phoegh

Post by phoegh »

Thank you for all your hard work on getting synthesia 11 done! I'm really excited and looking forward to using xml files and the new improved low latency GS wavetable synth for this program. I hope you get it finished by the time the new school year starts (this august *wink wink*) so I can implement it with my new incoming piano students :D
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Progress Update!

Well, the lower-latency Win10 synth feature just went up last night if you'd like to try it. (Opening MusicXML files will be coming in a future preview.)
draco2023a

Post by draco2023a »

I only ran one song, but it appears that all the notes are now showing up in the proper staves. This is a huge plus. I hope we get to see multiple lines of notation soon!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

That shouldn't have changed yet! :lol: That is scheduled for the "Fully-featured MusicXML-based Notation" preview, mentioned in the top post.

Still, it's good to hear from someone that the preview actually runs. :D
draco2023a

Post by draco2023a »

Opps..I only played the first few bars, but I see it now. Still looks good though!
silvrica

Post by silvrica »

Hello

I have tested several songs. When I want to see Note labels, some falling notes do not show any label. Im I using a PC laptop with Windows 7.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

silvrica wrote:When I want to see Note labels, some falling notes do not show any label. Im I using a PC laptop with Windows 7.
You can blame jimhenry for the suggestion! :lol:
jimhenry wrote:The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that labeling only in scale keys is better pedagogically than labeling all keys...
It sounded like good reasoning, so I added it:
11.0.4264 changelog wrote:
  • The other key-based label modes now only show text on pitches that belong to the song's current key signature. You can revert to the old behavior using Settings -> Gameplay -> Note Labels.
(Notice in my reply to Jim's suggestion, all the way back in January, I predicted yours would be the response of long-time users.) :D
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Hi silvrica! Since you are the first to complain about not having all the keys labeled, can I ask you to read the discussion about why only 7/12 of the keys are labeled and then tell us if you now agree with that change or why you disagree? To be honest, I never turn on key labels and I don't have the perspective of someone who would want the keys labeled.

Be warned that if you come up with a good reason for labeling all the keys then you'll be on the hot seat for answering how the remaining keys should be labeled, since it was that puzzle that lead to not labeling them at all. :twisted:
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
sage789

Post by sage789 »

Runs well on my Mac. :)
One request (this is not new to the dev): when in "watch and listen only" mode, and I hit pause, if a note is playing it will continue sounding. Is it possible to have the music stop when pause is pressed?
Thanks!

Also, it looks like the notes don't appear on the staff when the keyboard is pressed anymore. Is that not possible in the new technology? Not critical, but nice to have. (could be user error!)