Play My Parts in Background Question.

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
Blushock

Post by Blushock »

In Settings -> Gameplay, what does Play My Parts in the Background Do? I couldn't find any info for this. Thanks.
Attachments
playpartsinbg.png
playpartsinbg.png (67.58 KiB) Viewed 880 times
Bavi_H

Post by Bavi_H »

In the settings pages for the Music Output devices, each Music Output device has a switch for "My Notes" and a switch for "Background Instruments".
  • If you have two Music Output devices, you could use one for the output of "My Notes" and the other for the output of "Background Instruments".
  • If you use a MIDI piano that has its own speakers, you can disable the "My Notes" switch in Synthesia's Music Output devices so you only hear your notes from your MIDI piano's speakers.
On the Gameplay settings page, the setting called "Play My Parts in the Background, Too" will output a copy of "My Notes" to any "Background Instruments" devices also, but only when you play the game in the "Practice the Rhythm" or "Song Recital" modes. The effect is that when the "Play My Parts in the Background, Too" setting is on, you will always hear a copy of your notes in the "Background Instruments", even if you miss playing your notes on time.

The "Play My Parts in the Background, Too" setting has no effect in the "Free Play" mode or "Practice the Melody" game mode. In those modes, your notes are only sent to "My Notes" devices, even if the "Play My Parts in the Background, Too" setting is turned on.

Here is the forum post where this feature was requested: No playback during rhythm and recital exercises

Here is what the Readme document included with Synthesia says about this feature:
Synthesia 10.7, February 2021 [...]
NEW Use the "Settings → Gameplay → Play My Parts in the Background, Too" option to always have a copy of the part you're playing be played in the background automatically. (You may want to turn off "My Notes" for your output device to avoid the strange sound effects that can occur when the same note is played twice, nearly simultaneously.)