Synchronization between faillng notes and notes played

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
pyx

Post by pyx »

In some songs, it seems like the falling notes animation is delayed to when the notes are actually supposed to be played. I'd expect to need to hit the note as the note hits the bottom of the track (similar to rock band or guitar hero) but it seems I need to hit it a little earlier, and the timing of that is hard to figure out. in Rock Band, there's a synchronization process to get the time delay of you pressing a note and it being detected, but I couldn't find anything similar in the settings.
This doesn't affect melody but is making rhythm practice difficult. Any advice here?

I'm using windows 11, Synthesoa version 10.8.5686, yamaha keyboard psr-295
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Are you sending your MIDI output to your PSR-295? Or are you using Synthesia's built-in synth? Microsoft has been adding latency to their audio output in every version of Windows since 3.11. Whereas digital piano output is usually an order of magnitude faster.

I'm hoping to investigate ASIO output relatively soon (it's only 119 lines down on the list), which should be able to narrow the gap a bit when using output from your computer (more for certain audio hardware than others).

And we still need to squeeze another ~10ms of our own latency out.

After that, things should be in a much better place. I'd like to hold off on any Rock Band-like synchronization processes until I know we're already doing the best we can. Otherwise it will feel too much like trying to put duct tape on a leaky pipe.
pyx

Post by pyx »

I'm sending output to my psr-295. Is that expected to be slower or faster?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Faster. Every digital piano synth I've tested has less than a single video frame (at 60Hz) of latency.

In the case of digital piano synths, there's almost nothing to calibrate because they're generally so fast.
icuurd12b42

Post by icuurd12b42 »

Are you aiming to hit the note when they reach the bottom of the note fountain window or, like me, aiming to hit the note when they hit the misleading read line above the piano keys?