Different MIDI command for left and right hand

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
srimantha@gmail.com

Post by srimantha@gmail.com »

Thanks for the quick reply Nicholas.
I feel it is not easy for me to use your color asigning method for my Arduino.

Im gonna try the other way now that you suggest. Thanks for the tip. :)
iPiano.us | MIDIVisualizer.com
srimantha@gmail.com

Hi Nicholas,
with reference to my post (by srimantha@gmail.com 08-26-20 2:13 pm) and your reply post on (by Nicholas 09-02-20 8:09 pm),

Have you already updated Synthesia to send color information or any “light message protocol” along with MIDI signals?

My Requirement is LED Strip to change colors Automatically as per Synthesia LEFT-HAND/RIGHT-HAND INSTRUMENT COLOR settings.
When we change colors in the Synthesia software the LED strip will reflect those colors.

Have you already incorporated any such “light message protocol” with ver.11 to output Color information ? or any plans?

Thanks!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

If you meant the information from this post, yes, that has been available inside the app for several years (since Synthesia 10.4). Just choose "Finger-based channel" from the "Key Lights" list (on the Settings screen, after choosing your device from the Music Output list).
srimantha@gmail.com

Hi Nicholas,

My Requirement is an individually addressable RGB LED Strip to change colors Automatically when we change colors from the synthesis app.

With the settings "Finger-based channel" I can get the Left/Right-hand separation. Even I can get the finger number. But I couldn't get the color information.

I am trying to extract the Color data from the MIDI signal. and pass It to an RGB individually addressable LED Strip to change colors Automatically.
When we assign an individual instrument and select a color, will that color information pass along with any MIDI messages?.
For example; When we change colors/assign a new color to each individual instrument in the Synthesia software -> I need the LED strip to reflect those colors.

If you can apply any color assign protocol/light message protocol to output Color information, I can update my programs to match that.

once you replied to me the below,
"I wonder if instead of going with some generic "here are 7 bits to express the hue" kind of scheme, the longer-term approach to deliver even more information isn't some table-based method? Maybe at the beginning of the song (along with the CC#16 to describe that the user has picked left, right, both, or no hands), Synthesia could dump out some list of information. It could be something like "index 3: uses MIDI instrument 47 and should appear using this RGB triple"?
Then, the notes could use all 7 available bits to refer to (up to 127 of) the indices in that table. The best part is that the protocol could expand to as much extra information as we wanted in the future. Like, it could say (for each of the entries in the table) which hand (or none) it was assigned. That would already be a lot more information than the single CC#16 message.
Maybe I should register Synthesia LLC with the MMA to get an official manufacturer ID that we could use in SysEx messages? :lol:"

Have you already incorporated any such “light message protocol” to output Color information ? or any plans?

Thanks!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

srimantha@gmail.com wrote: 05-01-22 6:35 pmHave you already incorporated any such “light message protocol” to output Color information?
Not yet. Although this is still something I'd like to include.

(I'm currently working with another group that is trying to develop an LED light strip for digital pianos, and they've also run into some limitations in the finger-based channel messages. So something like this might happen sooner rather than later.)

EDIT: And I just applied to the MMA as a commercial member. So we should have our own SysEx manufacturer ID soon.
srimantha@gmail.com

Hi Nicholas,

I am creating attractive 'Piano LED Visualizer' several models called "iPiano" and have some demand for it now.

One model (Model-U) I dedicated for students that is compatible with your Synthesia software.
And every Piano LED Visualizer sells, I silently promote my customers to buy your Synthesia app. :D

I am currently following your "Finger Base Channel" protocols as an input for this LED visualizer.
Will you be able to add my LED Visualizer Brand "iPiano Model-U" in to your Key Light protocol list ?
As the key light protocol, I will still follow the "Finger Base Channel" protocol until you develop a new one.

A link to one of my Piano LED Visualizer Models - https://youtu.be/rQ6CgG09oTU

Thanks,
Attachments
2022-07-07_16h44_09.png
2022-07-07_16h44_09.png (9.53 KiB) Viewed 5507 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

srimantha@gmail.com wrote: 07-07-22 8:29 pmWill you be able to add my LED Visualizer Brand "iPiano Model-U" in to your Key Light protocol list?
Did you mean off to the right side as part of the description of keyboards that support the "Finger-based channel" mode? Yeah, if you're supporting that protocol, I don't see why not. :)
srimantha@gmail.com

Thanks, Nicholas,

I am wishing if you could list "iPiano LED Visualizer Model-U" as the attached image under your Key Light protocol list, let's say under Proprietary 3.
and I am following the "Finger Base Channel" protocol under that.

Thank you very much.
Attachments
Fingerbased.jpg
Fingerbased.jpg (60.51 KiB) Viewed 5498 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I think I might be missing something. Your device doesn't use a proprietary communication protocol, does it? I meant we could put something (hopefully shorter, as that space gets a little cramped on smaller devices) like "iPiano Model-U" right next to the "Finger-based channel" entry instead of adding anything new to the list.
srimantha@gmail.com

Sorry for the confusion.
I don't use a proprietary communication protocol.

"iPiano Model-U" right next to the "Finger-based channel" is great.

Thank you very much.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I just added it. That'll show up in the next development preview.
srimantha@gmail.com

Thankyou very much.
Exited to see my brand in one of the most loving Piano learning apps.
srimantha@gmail.com

Hi Nicholas,

I am promoting Synthesia frequently for my LED visualizer buyers.
Do you have any Synthesia FREE version that gives full functionality for a limited time(let's say 1week or a few days) for my customers to try out?
So, for my customers, while I am suggesting your Sysnthesia I can give away your software to try out.

Shall we discuss this in private emails?
support@midivisualizer.com or midivisualizer@gmail.com

Thanks.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

For the ~50 unlocked/trial songs built-in, it's free forever, for everyone. And the Free Play screen had the time limit removed several updates ago, so that is also available for free, forever. (All of this without ads, or any other kind of popup.) The only place you get a nag screen is after the 20 seconds you're allowed to play any non-trial song.

Offering even more for free would begin to erode interest in actually buying the app! :lol:

I prefer the simple distinction of locked/unlocked to any sort of "X days left" if only because there isn't anything there to game by doing wacky stuff like changing the system date/time or whatever. That becomes a cat and mouse game of checking with a time server... but then they'll disable their network connection, etc.
srimantha@gmail.com

Thanks Nicholas, I totally agree. It is really hard and time-consuming to develop a good product than cracking a product.
I will keep on promoting Synthesia along with my products.