allow me to connect keyboard without restarting the app (mac)

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
bluesdance

Post by bluesdance »

hi! on my setup, i am constantly unplugging and plugging in keyboards. every time i do this i have to restart the app. this is a bummer! please fix it so that if i plug a keyboard in, the app detects it right away. thanks!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Out of curiosity, why are you constantly unplugging and plugging in keyboards?

Usually the Mac version should be pretty resilient to detecting both of those actions. On the Settings screen, if you plug in a keyboard, doesn't it appear there after just a few seconds?
bluesdance

Post by bluesdance »

i am a teacher. each of my students has a keyboard. i walk around the room with my extra long USB cable plugging it in to each student’s keyboard one at a time.

in the good old days i brought the kids up one by one to play on my keyboard. but we are in the COVID era and i have to try to keep them away from each other and me.

………yeah actually i think it does work and i don’t need to restart the program, just the individual song. that is good.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I already had a tremendous amount of respect for the full spectrum of situations (especially those involving reluctant technology) that teachers generally endure with aplomb. Hearing horror stories like this one about all this new work that has been laid at your feet these past six months with essentially zero notice has elevated that respect a great deal more.

I am sorry for any inconvenience--no matter how slight--Synthesia causes you while trying to simply make it through your curriculum. Good luck and please let me know if I can help with anything else!
bluesdance

Post by bluesdance »

thanks. also just venting, the stupid keyboards i have, they have a menu setting for turning on midi, that defaults to off. why is this a thing. horrible. i have to get the kids to turn it on every time.