Configurable timing for Finger-based channel - lights

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
zoltan

Post by zoltan »

Hi,

so i have no idea how to explain it here, but if you read this, maybe you'll get what id like to have as a new feature in Synthesia.

https://github.com/onlaj/Piano-LED-Visualizer/issues/79

"We need Synthesia to send midi data about upcoming notes earlier, as soon as possible would be the best."
so the Piano-LED-Visualizer could be able to work with the upcoming notes, as described on the original request over there :)

thank you.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

"as soon as possible would be best" can get a little muddy. Imagine a screen full of upcoming notes that are all "squashed down" to a single row of lights. For a piece with a moderate amount of hand-movement, you might have 20+ lights on simultaneously. How do you know which lights are "now" vs. "should be played three seconds from now"?

Maybe they fade in over time?

We'd have to send quite a bit more information out to the key light device to enable that sort of thing. It could quickly become onerous for a small Arduino-style device to be able to track all of that. Throw your quintessential Black MIDI file at it and you could just as easily crash your Arduino. :?

EDIT: Reading your other post just now, I realize it's Raspberry Pi based, not Arduino. That little machine would have a better chance of surviving the onslaught of notes. :lol:
zoltan

Post by zoltan »

"as soon as possible would be best" can get a little muddy. Imagine a screen full of upcoming notes that are all "squashed down" to a single row of lights. For a piece with a moderate amount of hand-movement, you might have 20+ lights on simultaneously. How do you know which lights are "now" vs. "should be played three seconds from now"?
well for me, it would be useful to see the upcoming lights on the keyboard, since im familar with the song/musig so the rythm is OK, i just need to prepare myself for the correct keys in advance, just as i see in advance in synthesia.
and when the time comes, i will hit those keys;)

but i guess, it would be configurable for personal preference, what to show up and when.