Lagging/delay problem

Collaborate with other modders to make Synthesia the way you want it.
Always the latest versions: [ colors.xml | ui.xml ]
Read the Getting Started topic to learn how important it is to MERGE YOUR CHANGES every time you download a new dev preview.
Chompy

Post by Chompy »

Synthesia lags and eventually stops in a middle of a 3 or 5 million note song. If it continues, I get an error: std_bad_allocation.
It also misses a lot of notes when playing fast songs. It also says: "Loading song...", which takes like 10 minutes or more, or it'll terminate with: "Synthesia quit unexpectedly". When you have the next release made, please fix the lag/delay problems and missing notes on the piano (notes that fall, but don't sound), problem. Instant loading of songs could be useful, not just creating more colours like I suggested.

When is the next dev/release coming out?? I'd like all those problems fixed please! :D
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Which version of Synthesia are you using? Since 10.0, I can get past 6 million notes without too much trouble, with load times of only 5-20 seconds.

How much ram does your machine have? Are you on 32 or 64 bit Windows?
Chompy

Post by Chompy »

I'm on an Imac, RAM total of, unknown, but a lot of it, 64 bit with OS X Snow Leopard, Core Audio driver.

I am using 10.1 as usual. I try to play, like 5 million notes of Bad Apple, as it rhymes with Apple Mac, and the annoying thing is, that it freezes up the program in the middle or when it's stacked upon layers of layers of notes. The instrument that I used was Tango Accordion, and that makes some weird spitting noises when it reaches that level of notation.

I've tried all kinds of "free synthesisers" like Qsynth, SimpleSynth, example, they are for Mac, but I need something that'll get rid of the lagging and delay. I tried VirtualMidiSynth under the Windows emulator Wine, but it says: Installer corrupted, invalid opcode, at some point. So, is there another free synth for Mac OS X Snow Leopard that'll break the lagging/delay and allow it to run super smoothly, on the biggest MIDIs, like I suggested, Bad Apple 4.6, or 5.1 million when resetting the NoteWindowUs and NoteWindowUsAfterFirst to their default values?

I've run out of options. Please help with this and point me to a great free synth that takes up little space, can make Synthesia lag-free, and can allow me to use high-quality soundfonts like a 151mb soundfont without crashing the synth. It must also be a no-trial synth, something you can use eternally, and I can put the virus-free DMG (Disk Image) into my external hard-drive. Can you link me to such a brilliant synth? It must be for Mac OS X Snow Leopard and higher (10.6+). I do not want to go through the hassle of compiling and building. Thanks as always. :D
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hmm, I'm not as familiar with the performance of the synth (under duress!) on the Mac side. I think you're right that the lag is probably from their synth.

Are you just looking to play those songs straight through automatically? You're not doing anything like playing along with them yourself, right? The upcoming Synthesia Video Creator should be able to solve this problem.