Polish Language Support

Collaborate with other modders to make Synthesia the way you want it.
Always the latest versions: [ colors.xml | ui.xml ]
Read the Getting Started topic to learn how important it is to MERGE YOUR CHANGES every time you download a new dev preview.
MartijnHoekstra

Post by MartijnHoekstra »

Hey all,

The Polish language support is already under construction.
It is not going as fast as I'd like.. there are some words I do not know in Polish (neither does my family in law (polish) know)

For example, the official wording for : Swiping and/or Pinching gestures on a tablet screen
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I hadn't asked Martijn before if I was allowed to reveal his contributions, so I didn't... but now he just did himself!

So, I am happy to report Martijn was also kind enough to provide the Dutch translation that just made it into the Synthesia 10.1 release. Thanks again!

On topic: anything you're able to provide is very generous! If there are a few lines you don't know the answer to, I can always send that subset off to our usual translation service. Any amount is already a huge help!
Kuler

Post by Kuler »

MartijnHoekstra wrote:Hey all,

The Polish language support is already under construction.
It is not going as fast as I'd like.. there are some words I do not know in Polish (neither does my family in law (polish) know)

For example, the official wording for : Swiping and/or Pinching gestures on a tablet screen
Hi Martijn,
I just had a look at "Tutorial in 58secs." in EN on iPad and I realized it is not going to be easy. As regular interpretation of swiping and pinching sounded silly and helpless, here is what I did:
Pinching of swiping gestures (and all other interface related actions) are used in context of touchscreen manipulation therefore
I would suggest benchmarking with naming schemes/routines/ standards already existing and understandable in PL.
So, I closed the dictionary and looked into a manual/user guide of my iPad and I found official vocabulary for interacting with apps on iPad (links below):

Using apps: You interact with iPad using your fingers to tap, double-tap, swipe, and pinch objects on the touchscreen.
Korzystanie z programów: Interakcja z iPadem odbywa się przez stukanie, dwukrotne stukanie, przesuwanie, zsuwanie i rozsuwanie palców na ekranie dotykowym.

So:
using your fingers - palcami
using fingers to TAP - stukając palcami
double-tap - dwukrotne stukanie
using fingers to swipe - przez przesuwanie palców
using fingers to pinch objects on the touchscreen - przez zsuwanie i rozsuwanie palców na ekranie dotykowym

I think it could be a way to make decisions on how to progress with translations EN->PL and not only.

If you found it helpful, do not hesitate to contact me with more questions here or directly (marcin@chlodnicki.pl)
and my children (using synthesia) are really critical testers, giving honest feedback of any interface they experience.

Martin (aka Kuler)
from Poznan, PL
marcin@chlodnicki.pl

Sources:
https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/ ... _guide.pdf
https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/ ... ide_pl.pdf
Janusz

Post by Janusz »

Hello,

My name is Janusz Grzybek and I'm native Polish speaker. I downloaded Synthesia Demo (Windows version) for my son yesterday. It is really very good learning tool. Unfortunately, Polish language hasn't been implemented yet. For this reason I made some localization tests and results are very promising. Embedded localization resource based on XML are smart solution, I haven't find any umlaut/Unicode issues and truncated labels in Polish GUI. Let me know if you are interested in Polish localization. Currently I translated around 70% of all strings. I could finish Polish localization (with my internal validation tests) in 2-4 weeks. I can send you SETTING_LANGUAGE_PL.xml (or converted.res file) or exe with embedded Polish resources and changed language list for your tests. Below are some example screenshots made in partially localized Synthesia:
Spoiler:

Best regards,
Janusz Grzybek
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

That looks great! I was able to incorporate the files you sent via email without any modification. Our built-in (non-standard!) language support could be more sophisticated when it comes to pluralization. I understand Polish has a few more interesting cases than most other languages! I'm sorry that you had to deal with those limitations (and that I created a system incapable of truly representing your language).

There are one or two places I spotted where the text exceeds the bounds of a control. I can make those fixes. I have a tool that renders the same text in every language, measures the width of each, and writes a "languages_longest.xml" file that is basically the worst-case scenario for the UI. That lets me find hot-spots with overflowing text more easily than testing each language individually. Usually the file ends up mostly German and Russian, but it appears that there will be a few Polish lines in there now.

Anyway, nice job again! Your translation will be included in the next development preview for Synthesia 11.
Janusz

Post by Janusz »

I'm happy you incorporated Polish resources without problems.
I understand Polish has a few more interesting cases than most other languages! I'm sorry that you had to deal with those limitations (and that I created a system incapable of truly representing your language).
Yes, Polish grammar is complicated. Anyway, you shouldn't worry too much, because almost all applications localized to Polish are not fully compatible with this, especially when their codes use placeholders. It commonly occurs with numerals. Here are two examples (not from Synthesia):

In English we needs two plurals:
  • Added d% file
    Added d% files
In Polish should be
  • Dodano d% plik (for 1)
    Dodano d% pliki (for 2...4, 22...24, 32...34, etc.)
    Dodano d% plików (for 5...21, 25...31, 35...41, etc.)
Second exampe in English:
  • Remaining d% second
    Remaining d% seconds
In Polish should be
  • Pozostała d% sekunda (for 1)
    Pozostały d% sekundy (for 2...4, 22...24, 32...34, etc.)
    Pozostało d% sekund (for 5...21, 25...31, 35...41, etc.)
This is very hard to fix by developers in code, and for this reason I need use some tricks (changing of word order in string, etc) or suggest it to software developers, Below is example solution (for above samples) matched with Polish grammar:
  • Dodane pliki: d% (for all nunbers)
    Pozostało czasu w sekundach: %d (for all nunbers)
There are one or two places I spotted where the text exceeds the bounds of a control. I can make those fixes. I have a tool that renders the same text in every language, measures the width of each, and writes a "languages_longest.xml" file that is basically the worst-case scenario for the UI. That lets me find hot-spots with overflowing text more easily than testing each language individually. Usually the file ends up mostly German and Russian, but it appears that there will be a few Polish lines in there now.
Yes, Polish words are usually longer than English. This issue should occurs in most Slavic languages (Polish, Russian, etc.). If solving this issue is laborious for you, I could replace too long Polish strings with shorter (but worse) translations.

Best egard,
Janusz