How do you know if a midi is identical to the original song?

Share your original or public domain compositions here!
Request popular music with the suggestion form on the music store, not here!

All MIDI attachments must be one of the following:
  • Your own, original work submitted under some license that permits free private use (I recommend public domain or Creative Commons).
  • Adapted from works created prior to 1923. This goes for both the composition and arrangement. This means you cannot post MIDI versions of recent songs.
Xoco

Post by Xoco »

Weeks I've been learning Amsterdam from Coldplay and have fun with Synthesia and I've learned to play the first 8 measures (?) (just before starting to sing Chris Martin).

But now in the next 8 measures does not seem the same in the midi file that I hear in the original song, can it be? I think that what I hear in the original version of the song is simpler than the notes of midi file.

http://10stinth0ught.weebly.com/midis.html
Last edited by Xoco on 09-21-13 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Per Forum policy above, the link to the copyrighted Coldplay song was deleted.

To answer your question, if I understand it correctly, you have to listen to the song to see if it sufficiently matches the original for your taste. The sheet music used by the original artist, if it even exists, is almost never released to the public. Whatever sheets do become available are almost always transcriptions, made by someone other than the original artist, which are likely simplified and/or rearranged to make them more playable for the typical home musician. Cover bands put in quite a bit of effort to try to come close to the original performance with varying degrees of success. The goal of most covers is to suggest the original song rather than play it exactly note for note as in the original. Even the original artist is likely to play songs differently in a live performance than they do in the original recording. Live performances also differ from one time to the next. Some artists manage to keep all the performances pretty close and others change songs over time to the extent that it hardly seems like the same song.

Finding a MIDI file that doesn't match the original isn't surprising. Finding a MIDI file that does match the original closely would be the big surprise.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
Xoco

Post by Xoco »

Thank you for your answer, for example in this video is more easy, less notes, i think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkBu-AliGc0
Xoco

Post by Xoco »

It's impossible to find one midi file with the sames notes (or very similar) that original song... :(

Only videos of YouTube are more similar but is very complicated to see fingers of users, so complicated is to create a midi file for people who know a lot of piano? :cry:
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The songs on the Synthesia Music Store attempt to be very accurate. (Usually this is at the cost of difficulty -- most of the songs are rather challenging.) But as that list grows, you should be able to find MIDI songs that are very close to the original recordings.
Xoco

Post by Xoco »

Oh, no problem, I would be willing to pay a few euros, I'm from Catalonia (Spain for now), but in music store only can buy U.S. customers, right?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Xoco wrote:... but in music store only can buy U.S. customers, right?
For now this is correct, unfortunately. Sorry for the inconvenience! A solution that you can't use is worse than if no solution existed at all.
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Well you just need to check I live in the us but dunno if it's legal.I am from France and it has worked.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Nicholas buys a license "for personal and private use in the US" from the copyright owner for every copyrighted song he sells and transfers that license to the purchaser. It is up to the purchaser to decide if they have the license they need for the use they are making of the copyrighted song. If the purchaser makes a use of the copyrighted song other than the licensed personal and private use in the US, then they might violate the copyright and that will be a matter between the purchaser and the copyright owner.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Ok so it's not legal for non "US" but not for Nicholas thx for the info Jim