J. Ph. Rameau - Gavotte

Share your original or public domain compositions here!
Request popular music with the suggestion form on the music store, not here!

All MIDI attachments must be one of the following:
  • Your own, original work submitted under some license that permits free private use (I recommend public domain or Creative Commons).
  • Adapted from works created prior to 1923. This goes for both the composition and arrangement. This means you cannot post MIDI versions of recent songs.
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

I found a site about MIDI Copyright; http://www.midiloops.com/copyrit1.htm
I think those points are the most important:
midiloops.com wrote:
- How does copyright affect a normal person not professionally involved in music?

[...] If anyone is using music under copyright for any other than strictly personal use - royalties are due!
This includes especially recording in any form, broadcasting, printing, playing /performing to audiences, or including for use with other media. Creating any duplictions or providing for it (copies) constitutes distribution, even when not for profit - as soon as there is more than 1 or 2 copies for personal use (or backup).you are in violation of the copyright. [...] Using this music as a D.J, on the radio or for a movie, TV show , dance etc. generates "commercial use" copyright fees. Including music in webpages or other files or making them available to others ( per FTP or downloading) constitutes (re-)publishing /broadcasting of this music to the public! [...]
[...]

- Are there any copyright free MIDI-files?

Not really - only, if the recording artist(s) make no claim to the production/perfomance and the music used is public domain . Public domain means the copyright has expired . This is the case for traditionals or music where the creator is dead for at least more than 50 (fifty) years, in most countries now even 75 (seventyfive) years. That is the now valid period of protection, unless it was published under pseudonym, then the work is protected for this period from the year of first publication. [...]
[...]

- What about MIDI-files and shareware, can they be tested?
Music recordings have no trial period or beta releases ! If you want it - you buy , if you do not like it -- voila, and no one should argue about taste! In many cases you may be able to listen to samples or "cuts", you will not get from serious suppliers a full file for free download, this is not practicable and a violation of copyright licensing too. Licensing requires controlled download and pay for use, you will encounter variations in delivery. However you will have to pay for those recordings like for any other music you buy. [...]
This text is copyrighted by Wolfgang W. Scherer, from the MIDI-LOOPs site. This text is used with permission of the creator.
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

Is it actually 'legal' if I post a MIDI of J. Ph. Rameau - Gavotte (Secondo) (Double), that is from ~1640? I cant find any MIDI of this on the internet.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

If you create the MIDI file from a copy of the sheet music that was either published before 1923 or is clearly a reproduction of the music as it was originally written (no arrangement or interpretation that might create a copyright for the changes), then it is certainly legal for you to post the file.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

jimhenry wrote:from a copy of the sheet music that was either published before 1923 or is clearly a reproduction of the music as it was originally written
I created the MIDI from a sheet, it looks very old, but its just two pages. I dont see a copyright logo. So can I still post it?
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Sounds pretty safe to me. Do include a statement about how you want to treat the rights you have acquired in the MIDI file, e.g. dedicated to the public domain or some rights reserved.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/