Czerny & Friends #1

Share your original or public domain compositions here!
Request popular music with the suggestion form on the music store, not here!

All MIDI attachments must be one of the following:
  • Your own, original work submitted under some license that permits free private use (I recommend public domain or Creative Commons).
  • Adapted from works created prior to 1923. This goes for both the composition and arrangement. This means you cannot post MIDI versions of recent songs.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Here's the Czerny #1 exercise as sequenced by TonE scored with a Jazz ensemble. I tried to give the feel of the piano being a piano accompaniment to the rest of the ensemble. The piano is pumped way up in volume so it might be how the pianist would hear it but not how it would sound to an audience, where the piano would hardly be heard. What I am hoping to accomplish is to make the Czerny exercise less boring to practice and to give you the practice of playing with other parts to inspire some musicality in your performance. I haven't yet figured out how to control the order of the tracks generated by my sequencing software. I'd suggest setting all tracks to Played by Synthesia, Notes Hidden and then setting the two piano tracks to Played by You.

I realize this is mind numbingly easy for anyone with any piano skills but please give it a try and let me know if this is a worthwhile treatment of the Czerny exercises. It is no small effort to do something like this so I need to know whether the effort is worthwhile. Also please share any ideas you have for making these types of pieces better.
Attachments
Czerny & Friends 01.mid
(31.41 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
MatSher

Post by MatSher »

Jim,

I think that this is a brilliant and generous midi you have made.

I'd like a whole series of exercises ranging from medium to v difficult...

I have never tried doing exercises mainly because I never knew any.

Thanks you so much
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

Wow, very beautiful additions you made Jim, respects! You turned a simple boring exercise into a great fun magic song experience! Later I will try playing it via Roland JV-1080 and can share the mp3 here just in case other users are looking for general nice general midi playing synthesizers. Which sequencer are you using?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

jimhenry wrote:I haven't yet figured out how to control the order of the tracks generated by my sequencing software...
Regarding track ordering, the way it'll show up on the track settings screen is sorted by the average pitch in each track. Highest average notes are shown highest in the list.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Nicholas wrote:
jimhenry wrote:I haven't yet figured out how to control the order of the tracks generated by my sequencing software...
Regarding track ordering, the way it'll show up on the track settings screen is sorted by the average pitch in each track. Highest average notes are shown highest in the list.
Oh. That's not good if there are accompaniment tracks. The piano tracks can wind up buried amongst accompaniment and left hand can be separated from right. Maybe there should be a choice to sort tracks by pitch or track number.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Metadata will solve it. Then you won't even see the accompaniment tracks (the "Simplified Track Settings" will show) unless you click "Advanced" to go to the view we have right now.

It'll just be a single-click Left/Right/Both choice and you'll be in the song with everything set correctly.
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

Nicholas wrote:Regarding track ordering, the way it'll show up on the track settings screen is sorted by the average pitch in each track. Highest average notes are shown highest in the list.
I hope midi channel 10 notes are excluded from this algorithmic solution, no matter in which track they are?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Yep, they're always sorted last.

EDIT: It's really the same sorting that's always been there since the 0.5.x days. Although, instead of drawing tracks left-to-right (to symbolize left hand vs. right hand) the new view shows each track box wider, so we have draw top-to-bottom (which works pretty well if you think of it like highest note vs. lowest note).