Help how to get Midi

Share your original or public domain compositions here!
Request popular music with the suggestion form on the music store, not here!

All MIDI attachments must be one of the following:
  • Your own, original work submitted under some license that permits free private use (I recommend public domain or Creative Commons).
  • Adapted from works created prior to 1923. This goes for both the composition and arrangement. This means you cannot post MIDI versions of recent songs.
n9jcv

Post by n9jcv »

Ok,
Here is my dilema - is there a legal way around this?
I have purchased a song(sheet music). I am a newbie and can not play it. I would like to get a midi of this song, so I can use synthesia and the sheet music view to learn it.

How can I go about doing this. I do not have any local friends that have any capability to play and produce midi.

Thanks
b :?:
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The sort of hard-core way (that takes an incredibly long time the first few times you're doing it and getting used to it) is clicking in the notes yourself in some (free) composition software.

Something like MuseScore or Anvil Studio let you drop notes on a staff. Even without knowing how to compose, you can usually poke around enough to duplicate whatever you have on the sheet of paper or PDF or whatever.

Then, save it as a MIDI file and you're all set. :D

Painfully, I've done this a number of times with sheet music I couldn't find a MIDI for...
Pianotehead

Post by Pianotehead »

I've done this a few times, though it's time consuming. Just finished a song that's 96 bars, luckily there were similar sections of bars, so I could copy and paste, then lower or raise the pitches where necessary.