8.6 Preview r2359-r2368 - Platform Update & Backgrounds

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

jimhenry wrote:Here's one I came up with:
Steinway.jpg
Great picture, now we only need to replay 'Steinway & Sons' with 'Synthesia' and its logo. Do you have the original image? I could play a little, or anyone else?
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

jimhenry wrote:
Nicholas wrote:As for full "lane" highlights when you hit a key: yeah, I really like that. I want to do that now.
Is it now yet? :D
I would like this together with this 'note shooter mode':
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5930
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

jimhenry wrote:Here's one I came up with...
That is a lot of fun. I had to stop what I was doing and go show that picture to my wife. :D
jimhenry wrote:Is it now yet? :D
I just messed with the idea for a few minutes and quickly realized it was going to take more effort to get something that looked nice. It's definitely still something I'm interested in. And ideas like this one and TonE's note-shooting mode are starting to sound more and more attractive. I've noticed an influx of Synthesia clones -- the most recent being OnlinePianist's iPad app -- so I've started brainstorming ways Synthesia might be able to differentiate itself both from a rich feature set perspective as well as the simpler aesthetic point of view.

The truth is that it's actually pretty easy to cobble together a falling-note view. Leading the pack with something that's easy to use, has all the features you're looking for, easy to find high-quality content, and all at a fair price... is really hard. I like where Synthesia is today and its current trajectory. Still, it's important to keep an eye on the bigger picture so it can continue to lead the niche market that has grown up around the project.

I'm super excited about the rest of 2013 (I might actually hit all the goals on one of my roadmaps this time around) and now competition has made me even more excited to meet the challenges coming in 2014 and beyond.
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

Thanks, background images are working now, also via the command line, including '--on-startup Play'.

For the note shooter mode, you might also consider 'turning the falling notes display' similar to jimhenry's guitar hero example. Maybe allowing to adjust the degree of turning angle as an option, so everyone can adjust their prefered 'horizon perspective' from where the notes will flow in. The more you increase the angle you might even visualize the 'note heights' from their individual velocity, kind of notes being some houses and you are driving on those 'house streets' and shooting them with your keyboard laser gun. This could make up also various interesting 'house skylines' from different compositions. The house height could be also dependent on the note length, maybe. So using both, note velocity and note duration in a mix for the house height. The black background image area could be a screenshot of any city maybe, Manhatten for example.

Or keeping the universe space, and visualizing the notes not as houses but some spaceships? Based on used octave the spaceship form might change? Captain future space ship, Star trek space ship? :)
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

TonE wrote:Great picture, now we only need to replay 'Steinway & Sons' with 'Synthesia' and its logo. Do you have the original image? I could play a little, or anyone else?
Here is the image I used for anyone who wants to play with it (UPDATE: SYNTHESIA name and logo):
Synthesia-Grand-Piano.jpg
Synthesia-Grand-Piano.jpg (228.34 KiB) Viewed 13044 times
You probably will want to set Gameplay.BackgroundImageAlpha to a value in the vicinity of 128.
Last edited by jimhenry on 09-16-13 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

Just added quickly Synthesia. Better is to remove Steinway... and its logo and replace there.

UPDATE: Deleted image again, as too big and slowing this pages loading time.
Last edited by TonE on 09-04-13 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

Nicholas, what do you think of this? viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5069#p29129
qwertyo76

Post by qwertyo76 »

This is super cool.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

TonE wrote:Nicholas, what do you think of this? viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5069#p29129
I'm on the fence. At a minimum, half-step transposing breaks finger hints. It could also alter the difficulty of the song pretty dramatically, which would sort of invalidate your scores. Instead of trying to learn a piece in the original key, it would become a game of finding the easiest key to play a song in.

Recently I had an email conversation about per-instrument octave transposing (that you'd be able to pick from the advanced song view). I like that idea a lot because it preserves hints and difficulty while still offering more than just trivial functionality.

I don't expect to see either of those during 2013, but I'd definitely lean toward the latter implementation when the time comes.
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

I see, thanks for the explanation and the comment.
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Why not simply use a key hint ex "lettre à Elise Bb" Lettre à Elise Eb .
Tranposing is a function very missing for singers and learners.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

I've updated the piano background image above with the SYNTHESIA name:
Synthesia-Logo.jpg
Synthesia-Logo.jpg (7.92 KiB) Viewed 13202 times
Jim Henry
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

jimhenry wrote:I've updated the piano background image above with the SYNTHESIA name:
But the font is not the original one. Logo also not.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

In my humble opinion the current Synthesia font and logo would not look right on the piano, at least not based on my ability to blend the styles. Maybe somebody with some real graphic talent will see a way to morph the Synthesia font and logo to look at home on the wood back board of an acoustic piano. If I wanted to use the current Synthesia font and logo, then I'd put them on an electric piano.
Jim Henry
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Maybe something like this:
synthesia_electric.jpg
synthesia_electric.jpg (87.75 KiB) Viewed 13192 times
P.S. It would be nice to have a setting that causes the background image to be aligned with the bottom of the image at the top of the keys for these types of backgrounds.
Jim Henry
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Nicholas Maybe a synthesia logo the same you use for the website would be great to share for modders (i mean one without background )
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The big logo in the corner of the wiki does a nice job in terms of not having any background.

Still, I like Jim's first pass. All caps with that letter spacing in that font looks really classy. Though we might have to find an alternative to the Steinway logo. I bet they wouldn't be very happy about that. :lol:
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

Sorry i was meaning the typo of the word "Synthesia" not the big logo but it can be usefull too ;)
Or maybe can u simply tell us what font You use ?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Oh! I just picked something that is included by default on both Macs and PCs. I think the font is called "Georgia".

I still like it shown in the Steinway style though. For a classic look with the wood-grain and everything, it probably fits better than the font on the front page of the site.
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

I think too :)
Thx for the Georgia polices ;)