8.4 Preview r2193 - Smooth Scrolling Library

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Korados wrote:But I have one complaint: Why did you restrict the offset note markers just for Played by Me notes?
Jim thought it would be a good idea. ;)

Really, the purpose of the markers is to show you the notes you might miss if you don't change the zoom [on the iPad version]. They're not a great visualization otherwise, and notes outside the 88-key range were the last thing I had in mind for them. At that point, the markers aren't useful at all because there is nothing you can do to interact with them.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

I still think it is a good idea for those who are playing the music, which is the point of Synthesia. But this does again bring up the question of whether there should be a related product which is just a player for those who want to listen with a note visualization. For that purpose do you even want a piano keyboard?
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

If you mark all parts as "Played by Me" and then use "Watch and Listen" will you get all the off-screen markers?
Jim Henry
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Clicking "Watch and Listen" effectively sets all tracks to "Played by Synthesia" behind the scenes. So it wouldn't have the effect I think you were looking for.

Though all throughout... pretty much everywhere I maintain a distinction between "is the user responsible for any notes at all?" that could be used to achieve that. When there are any user-notes, markers are only for user-notes. When there aren't, markers are for every note?

Is that what you were thinking? I suppose that could work pretty well.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Nicholas wrote:When there are any user-notes, markers are only for user-notes. When there aren't, markers are for every note?

Is that what you were thinking? I suppose that could work pretty well.
That wasn't what I was thinking. But it is still a good idea. ;)
Jim Henry
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

Melody Practice has a bug for a few versions I could see, or is this new behaviour intended? Here it just does NOT wait for note input, Synthesia just plays through as in rhythm practice. Nobody else experienced it?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I haven't heard anything about that. Is that only happening in particular songs? Particular situations? If you could show a MIDI file that causes it, I'd love to take a look. Thanks!

(I usually test almost exclusively using melody practice and I haven't seen anything like this. I bumped Gameplay.NoteWindowUs up quite a bit a few previews ago, but that shouldn't have impacted the correctness of melody practice... only that you can hit the notes earlier now.)
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

I jumped back to 1732 to have this feature again. I will try a few more files and can report back here. Ok tested again: Any song, same problem.

My setting, tested version 2193:
In From Midi Yoke: 5
Out to Midi Yoke: 8
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

Is it possible to make the keys a little smaller? Somehow I liked the previous size more, now it is too big, in my opinion.
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

TonE wrote:My setting, tested version 2193:
In From Midi Yoke: 5
Out to Midi Yoke: 8
Somehow, it seems Midi Yoke ports are not handled correctly, the input is routed to the output automatically? Or vice versa, so it plays automatically perfectly? Great for achieving maximum score. :lol:
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

TonE wrote:Is it possible to make the keys a little smaller? Somehow I liked the previous size more, now it is too big, in my opinion.
Click the magnifying glass icon and choose "All 88". ;)
TonE wrote:Somehow, it seems Midi Yoke ports are not handled correctly, the input is routed to the output automatically? Or vice versa, so it plays automatically perfectly? Great for achieving maximum score. :lol:
So the melody practice problem only occurs with Midi Yoke? If you double-check your devices, are you sure more than one input or output isn't enabled? (Also, the input and output list has switched places, so now input is at the bottom.)
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

Input and output were correct, but I would put the input to the top, only as a side comment. To me this feels more natural, from input (top) to output (bottom).
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

TonE wrote:Input and output were correct, but I would put the input to the top, only as a side comment. To me this feels more natural, from input (top) to output (bottom).
The reasoning for putting output before input on the settings page is that you should set an output before setting the input so that you can hear the notes as you are setting the input.
Jim Henry
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

This is not a good argument, to hear something you need to set anyway both, the question is only in which order. The current order is more irritating, but this is only my opinion. Nicholas or Apple can decide. More and more Apple rules over Synthesia, bad. :lol:
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

Nicholas wrote:So the melody practice problem only occurs with Midi Yoke? If you double-check your devices, are you sure more than one input or output isn't enabled? (Also, the input and output list has switched places, so now input is at the bottom.)
Selecting no output results in same behaviour. No melody practice working, with looping.

Synthesia Software Keyboard as input works correctly.
LPD8 as input (USB Device) works correctly. (There must be something specific wrong with Midi-Yoke ports somehow.)
Loopmidi port as input works correctly, also.

Input from another Midi Yoke port does not work also. So I would check first the input ports from ANY Midi Yoke port. It seems they do not work correctly. I activated just a single Midi Yoke input port, it did not work correctly.
Last edited by TonE on 11-26-12 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

Having a note range setting, but only for white notes might be also useful, e.g. if you want to use an Akai LPD8 as input device, just did it for testing purposes. It has only 8 pads, meaning only one octave, white keys would be the note range.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

TonE wrote:This is not a good argument, to hear something you need to set anyway both, the question is only in which order. The current order is more irritating, but this is only my opinion.
You find it less irritating to
  • select an input device
  • test the keys and hear nothing
  • return to the settings screen
  • select an output device
  • test the output and hear something
  • return to the input device screen
  • test the keys and hear something
  • set the keyboard range
rather than
  • select an output device
  • test the output and hear something
  • select an input device
  • test the keys and hear something
  • set the keyboard range
Interesting. :?

I guess Nicholas won't be able to please everyone. :(
Jim Henry
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

No, I would not use any test button before setting both. Also I do not want to hear always the result of the "testing". Seeing would be also ok for me. Anyway, it was just my comment. Maybe most people like as it is, who knows?
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

TonE wrote:Synthesia Software Keyboard as input works correctly.
LPD8 as input (USB Device) works correctly. (There must be something specific wrong with Midi-Yoke ports somehow.)
Loopmidi port as input works correctly, also.

Input from another Midi Yoke port does not work also. ... I activated just a single Midi Yoke input port, it did not work correctly.
Maybe problems with Midi Yoke appear, because some midi port .xml files were not updated after installing a few new midi ports? Is this possible as a source of the problem?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

jimhenry wrote:I guess Nicholas won't be able to please everyone. :(
This is something I learned years ago. ;)