Synthesia 8.4

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
davel

Post by davel »

I am transferring the midi file by reading a email midi attachment. I select open with synthesia and then synthesia shows the song to be ready to practice page with the choices of melody, recital, etc. if I then go and select the songs tab on the top left of the screen I see the songs list. I select the all songs and do not see the name of the song I imported in the list. It sill shows up on the top of the display to select to play with a minus sign which I could select to delete the song. If I choose another song to play it shows up but he song I imported is not in the list. If I repeat this same email import I see the song name automatically being changed with number attached to the end representing multiple copies.

One thing of note is if I go to settings for songs there is red error indication for missing folder for itunes file sharing. I have not run iTunes yet in my computer since I got the release.

Hope I I provided you with the information you need.
Thanks
Dave
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

davel wrote:One thing of note is if I go to settings for songs there is red error indication for missing folder for iTunes file sharing.
Hrm. That is behavior I haven't seen before. You were in the beta, right? Did you start from a clean installation or did you install the official version on top of the beta version? I might try completely deleting the app and starting over fresh. (If you've already purchased the unlock, you can use the "Restore Purchase" button to get it again.)

Starting fresh, is that folder red?

Out of curiosity, which model iPad do you have and which version of iOS is it running? Thanks!
davel

Post by davel »

I had installed Synthesia over the beta test when I first got the problem. I removed it and did a fresh install and the problem is now fixed!!! The Ipad is the brand new high speed .the OS version is the the latest.

thanks for the help.
Dave
revilo2

Post by revilo2 »

I've just try 8.4. every things are fines except :

I naviguate on synthesia via my keyboard.

Is there to way to valid the answer : quit song and lose progress ! except by a clic (with the keyboard) ?

because this is very binding, every time i want to quit a song, to leave my keyboard and return to my computer in order to valid the exit.

Thank you very much.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Open the "Synthesia Configuration" utility, go to the Advanced section, find the "Gameplay.ConfirmEarlyExit" option and turn it off. Then the prompts will no longer appear.
Flaw

Post by Flaw »

I just upgraded to 8.4 and I have a slight issue with it. I use a 2 display setup, the other one being in front of my keyboard, and used to configure Synthesia to use the second display using the configuration tool.
I did the same with 8.4, expecting it to work like it used to, but it quite didn't.
Well, worked for the most part, but for some rather peculiar reason, the picture for Synthesia actually is on the second display, but it seems to think that it's still on the first display as that's the display where it takes it's input (mouse pointer location, etc) from.
In fact, if I move my mouse over to the second display, the synthesia cursor stops moving and I can see the windows cursor scuttling on top of the synthesia display, and synthesia doesn't react to clicks or anything.
As soon as I move my cursor back to the display where Synthesia in fact isn't, and just click anywhere, the Synthesia window regains focus and I can move the Synthesia cursor around, on the other display.

It's as if Synthesia uses some invisible overlay window for mouse input and that thing isn't being moved to the other display, but instead stays on the first one. If you follow me. 'Tis rather hard to explain. :p

Any ideas? Sorry if this had already been reported/answered.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Flaw wrote:'Tis rather hard to explain. :p
You did a fine job. ;) I think I've seen that type of thing in older exclusive-mode DirectInput games after resolution-switching problems.

It's strange, I've never heard that reported and the underlying video technology hasn't changed at all since 0.8.3. Which renderer are you using? Does it happen when you switch to the other? (Which brand video hardware are you using, for that matter?) Thanks!
Flaw

Post by Flaw »

Nicholas wrote:
Flaw wrote:'Tis rather hard to explain. :p
You did a fine job. ;) I think I've seen that type of thing in older exclusive-mode DirectInput games after resolution-switching problems.

It's strange, I've never heard that reported and the underlying video technology hasn't changed at all since 0.8.3. Which renderer are you using? Does it happen when you switch to the other? (Which brand video hardware are you using, for that matter?) Thanks!
This is with an Nvidia GTX670. Actually now that you mentioned it, I realized I haven't tried 8.3 after swapping the graphics card. The old one was a GTX560Ti and this setup worked perfectly with it.
Also this is with the DX9 renderer, the picture doesn't move to the second display at all if I use OpenGL.

Also possibly worth mentioning is that I'm using the latest beta drivers from Nvidia.

But if there haven't been any changes related to this, it probably has something to do with the 6-series cards or the beta drivers. I'll see if installing the latest WHQL drivers has any effect on it.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hmm. I'll have to try it on my personal machine that has a 6-series card (though not the beta drivers). I've got a 550 Ti on this dev machine and everything seemed to work fine.

About it not switching at all in OpenGL mode, what is your "Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration" setting under "Manage 3D Settings" in NVIDIA Control Panel set to? It seems like set to Compatibility mode, that should work using either technology.
Flaw

Post by Flaw »

Nicholas wrote:Hmm. I'll have to try it on my personal machine that has a 6-series card (though not the beta drivers). I've got a 550 Ti on this dev machine and everything seemed to work fine.

About it not switching at all in OpenGL mode, what is your "Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration" setting under "Manage 3D Settings" in NVIDIA Control Panel set to? It seems like set to Compatibility mode, that should work using either technology.
I changed that setting to compatibility performance mode, it had no effect.

What happens when I use OpenGL is, if I choose my primary display and a non-native resolution (My primary display is 1920x1200, secondary is 1920x1080, I always configure Synthesia to use 1920x1080.), the output resolution will change to match whatever I had configured and Synthesia will run in normal fullscreen mode.
If I choose my secondary display, the Synthesia window will still appear on the primary display but this time it seems like it's in a kind of borderless windowed mode.

I'm still in the middle of FarCry 3 so I haven't downgraded the drivers (the beta drivers provide a nice performance boost), but I will once I finish it. Then again 310 series WHQL drivers shouldn't be that far off now, might as well wait for those.
Flaw

Post by Flaw »

Allright, to update:
Running Synthesia as an administrator fixes it. Running it without elevation reproduces it, 100% of the time thus far.
I've also reinstalled windows since I last used 8.3, and in the previous installation UAC wasn't on at all, effectively running everything as administrator.
Might be that this could've been reproduced on that setup as well had I turned UAC on.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

How strange! I can't imagine how admin privileges have anything to do with allowing one video mode over another.

Thanks for your investigation. I'm curious to hear if the same thing happens with the WHQL driver.
Flaw

Post by Flaw »

Nicholas wrote:How strange! I can't imagine how admin privileges have anything to do with allowing one video mode over another.

Thanks for your investigation. I'm curious to hear if the same thing happens with the WHQL driver.
To be absolutely clear, running Synthesia as administrator fixes my original problem of getting the input from the wrong screen.
Amazingly, now that I tried, it also fixes the screen not moving problem I had with OpenGL. Those must be related somehow.

And this is with the latest 310.70 WHQL drivers now, installing those had no effect other than Synthesia losing my BASSMIDI driver from the outputs list for whatever reason. I'll look into that now. :p

E: Re-installing BASSMIDI fixed this latest issue.

E2: It also seems to be somewhat random, at least I haven't noticed a pattern yet. Every once in a while (maybe 1 time out of 10) when running it as a normal user it will work as it's supposed to, and when running as admin, every once in a while it'll not run as it's supposed to.
Phil2003

Post by Phil2003 »

Just wanted to say thank you for the gread iPad version, at even such a low price. Im having so much fun with it,
and its just great to be able to move the keyboard wherever you want it to be.
Dragonjo8

Post by Dragonjo8 »

Very nice job on the iPad version of Synthesia. I am extremely surprised (pleased) at the functionality of this first release. Not sure if anyone else has suggested this (or if you have it planned for a future release) but would it be possible to implement some type of Dropbox (or other cloud storage service) integration for adding MIDIs to Synthesia? I absolutely hate iTunes (yes...I've tried version 11...still hate it) and try to avoid using it at all costs. It would be nice to have the ability to import MIDIs without having to use iTunes.

Keep up the good work.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! While I'm accustomed to people enjoying new releases, all the nice comments this time around have been overwhelming! I was happy with the way things turned out and hoped you guys would be too, but I didn't expect this much response. :D

The holidays have been keeping me a little busier than I expected, but soon it should be full steam ahead on a small bug-fix release followed by laying out the road-map for 2013.
Dragonjo8 wrote:It would be nice to have the ability to import MIDIs without having to use iTunes.
There isn't a bulk-import method yet (I'd have to integrate with DropBox's API for that), but if you go into the DropBox app and find a MIDI file, there should be an "Open in Synthesia..." option which hopefully gets you most of the way there. It'd be nice to add a bunch of songs all at once, but for now it's at least easier than iTunes.

("Open in Synthesia..." works in other apps too like Safari and Mail.)
Phil2003

Post by Phil2003 »

You can just send your midis per mail to your ipad, thats what i do. I hate iTunes even more :P
And i hate Apple for the way they are locking us into our devices, and i wouldnt get me a iOS device anymore with the current Jailbreak situation, but just got an iPhone 5 and iPad 4 gifted... especially iPhones are horrible without JB (no SBsettings, no iBlacklist, no customization, and a lot of smaller Tweaks missing).

Well, to get back to my hint, you can then just click on your midi inside the mail on ipad and tell it to open in Synthesia.

Btw, Synthesia sometimes tells me that it cant read my midi. Sending it again per mail usually fixes the problem.

I dont want to repeat myself, but Synthesia is just a great program and on the iPad its just genius. Theres no other app out there like it for piano, and the apps for other instruments (like Rock Prodigy) dont allow any import, but rather want you to pay for their tracks. Synthesia comes at a very fair price and with a lot of freedom for its users. Quite the opposite to Apple and their Pinky & Brain attitude. :)
KKIINNGG

Post by KKIINNGG »

Hi everyone,
I had a problem with the new version,
I just updated my synthesia and it looks really great with new functions
but i had a real problem made me uncomfortable with it,
like i have inside my Synthesia more than 500 songs
when i enter to a song to hear it from the last songs or whatever in the middle when i backspace
it goes to the top not back to song as usual
there is a photos explain my problem

figure 1 - look to the red arrow, where i am !

figure 2 - i played or i enter moonlight sonata

figure 3 - after i finished i backspace to the song list
and look where i am now !?!??
if i go down using my own keyboard it will go to the first song but if i used my mouse to back to moonlight sonata I'll see the mark on it,

I have a lot of songs that without names just numbers and symbols
when i played them and i want to play the next song it brings me to the top and i have to find it again :(
I hope you got my problem
the old versions hadn't this problem

and am i the only one who have this problem ?
thank you so much
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

u can rate it then filter by rating or playong ;)
Dragonjo8

Post by Dragonjo8 »

Nicholas wrote:Thanks for the feedback, everyone! While I'm accustomed to people enjoying new releases, all the nice comments this time around have been overwhelming! I was happy with the way things turned out and hoped you guys would be too, but I didn't expect this much response. :D

The holidays have been keeping me a little busier than I expected, but soon it should be full steam ahead on a small bug-fix release followed by laying out the road-map for 2013.
Dragonjo8 wrote:It would be nice to have the ability to import MIDIs without having to use iTunes.
There isn't a bulk-import method yet (I'd have to integrate with DropBox's API for that), but if you go into the DropBox app and find a MIDI file, there should be an "Open in Synthesia..." option which hopefully gets you most of the way there. It'd be nice to add a bunch of songs all at once, but for now it's at least easier than iTunes.

("Open in Synthesia..." works in other apps too like Safari and Mail.)
Ok...after playing around with this app for a couple of weeks I can't begin to tell you how awesome it is!!!! The feedback you've been getting is MORE than warranted. The $6.00 investment is CHEAP for all the awesomeness you get. Seriously...outstanding job!!!

Your suggestion with regard to importing MIDIs works fine (no iTunes required...OH YEAH!!!). Bulk importing would be a great addition, however...no rush on that. A more pressing feature would be the ability to group imported MIDIs. The pre-installed MIDIs appear to be grouped, however, I don't see a way to do this with imported MIDIs. Is this something you have planned for a future release? Please advise.