Synthesia 8.4

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

Maybe that page really doesn't exist? We also have no permission to /images/.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I'm pretty sure it was a joke. Lemo was hoping I'd have also uploaded a version of the Simple View screen using the dark color theme. ;)
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

Yeah actually I'm still waiting for the default one to be dark, and the alternate one to be like
http://synthesiagame.com/images/084songSettingsSimpleNotSoGoodLookingWhitishKindaBlueThingie.png
:mrgreen:
Stuff & experiments for Synthesia: Gramp v0.2SkinboxFireSynthVideoWebradio
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

In a few days/weeks we will be able to see them all dark! :D
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

There we go, this is more like me. It would have been weird being on time. ;)

Since my last status update -- while I was fleshing out some of the smaller details of how to handle things on the advanced song settings screen -- I found a really graceful way to handle a number of things that were still rough around the edges. Even though it was going to take more time it seemed like the right thing to do. If I was excited to show you guys before, I am practically bursting at the seams now! When you see the new track boxes they don't seem especially different at first (and even hint at regression to the older 0.6.x style)... but virtually every interaction makes more sense now. It's very cool.

In any event, this should be wrapping up shortly. I think I'll stick with "a couple days" from here on out for as long as it takes. :lol:
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

It looks really nice! I like the fact that I will be able to do most stuff, with only one click. :D

When it's stretched enough will it move the buttons up? (and make the height shorter.)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Raymond wrote:When it's stretched enough will it move the buttons up? (and make the height shorter.)
Yes! :D

... and multi-track previews. (Lots of fun to play around with.)

... and way easier copy/pasting/resetting/hand-assigning.

Splitting up the mode into three parts actually allows for two new modes that you've never had before: [Played by Me|Hidden|Sounded] and [Played by Me|Hidden|Muted]. (I'm not sure how useful that last one is. :lol: )
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hey that means we can easly have sheet music only! :D

The last one could be used if you want sheet only, and want your keyboard playing it's default sound.
Or you don't want to hear how bad your playing. :lol:
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

Ha, those track boxes have a neat dark background :)
But yeah definitely looking forward the stretched version on a single line
and some option to hide the bottom text that is obviously there just for the no tooltip iStuff...
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The advanced side of Song Settings is complete. The copy mechanic ("drag anything to anything else") feels really nice.

Now it's just the play screen. And for this pass it's just a quick once-over to adapt some of the icons and migrate a little over to the new infrastructure. So it shouldn't be long now.

Oh yeah: I dropped the leading "0." so it's just 8.4 now. One of the app store guidelines forbids beta versions and apparently using beta numbering like Synthesia does can cause app rejections. And rather than maintaining two version numbers, I'll just change it everywhere.
PianoVideosJustForU

Post by PianoVideosJustForU »

Can't wait!
From the video on your YouTube account it looks so cool.
Keep it going!
:)
PianoVideosJustForU
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

hmm I dunno I kinda liked the old way with one column
you can't compare tracks otherwise
http://i.imgur.com/inv6D.png
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Interestingly, by modding just the ui.xml file you'll be able to make every single one of those changes except the melody/rhythm/recital "SegmentButton" can't go vertical at the moment.

Still, with instrument tiles that wide you don't get the benefit of them organizing themselves into a grid that fills the width of your screen. One column lets you compare. Grid-layout means you don't waste a bunch of screen space.

With the advent of ui.xml, it would be trivial to include *both* layouts and have a single advanced config option toggle between either one. (You have no idea how exciting that is for me. ;) )

When this preview goes out, I'm going to include some helpful modding-type information in a separate Dev Updates post. Mostly for color themes, but also a little for the UI.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Tomorrow (Wednesday) is the day.

I've only got a couple hours of work left to wrap up followed by drafting the largest dev preview post I've ever made. ;)
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

u are optimist at 1.19 am :D
I check this post everyday :geek:
Good luck for the last road!
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

kiwi, not everyone lives in the french timezone ;)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Yeah, this thing is totally happening in the next hour or so. It's code-complete and I'm just wrapping up testing on the Mac. And it's only a few hours past midday where I live. ;)
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

OK Nicholas, repeat after me:

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can ... :D
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I found some bugs on the Mac side. :lol:

Otherwise, I've just been typing up the post for the last 45 minutes.
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

congrats, you released it on Wednesday, evene in the french timezone ;)
funny thing is that I'm releasing something today too
so I'll have a look at all that later^^