Synthesia 8.4

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
berridgeab

Post by berridgeab »

Thank you for your time and dedication into making this release happen, I own the full PC version and am just buying the full iPad version now.

;)
musicfanatic18

Post by musicfanatic18 »

just wonderin.... how to play the right notes on the keyboard? i mean i know the letters and to which keys they are for but i dunno how i can press the right keys in synthesia... i just downloaded... m new to synthesia so i dunno how to play the right chords....because when its an 'E' chord i press E on my qwerty keyboard and it plays D#... can anyone help me out with this?
skyhawko450

Post by skyhawko450 »

Hi Nicholas, and other Synthesia fans!
I mentioned this once before, and still haven't figured out this problem I'm having with settings saved for individual songs. After I play, and leave Synthesia, then come back again, all info about the songs played will be retrieved and shown; last date played, difficulty, rating, etc. - except the "played by me" selection that I used on the last play. Every instrument reverts to "Played by Synthesia". It doesn't keep me from playing, just a nuisance kind of thing.
Any idea of something in the game that I may have set incorrectly? Just my computer? (I don't think it is as I have tried two different computers.)
I'd appreciate any input!

Thanks
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

musicfanatic18 wrote:just wonderin.... how to play the right notes on the keyboard? i mean i know the letters and to which keys they are for but i dunno how i can press the right keys in synthesia... i just downloaded... m new to synthesia so i dunno how to play the right chords....because when its an 'E' chord i press E on my qwerty keyboard and it plays D#... can anyone help me out with this?
If you are playing with your computer keyboard, certain keys are mapped to a single note on the keyboard. If there is a three note chord you'll have to press three keys on the computer keyboard to play that chord. There is a graphic that shows what keys correspond to what notes in the game. You'll have to look around for it because I don't use the computer keyboard and I don't know the details of doing so.

Of course, trying to play piano music with just a computer keyboard is limiting. Connecting a music keyboard (piano) through MIDI gives a much better experience.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
Boux

Post by Boux »

did you change "0.8.4" to "8.4" because the iOS app store doesn't allow beta products? :P
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Boux wrote:did you change "0.8.4" to "8.4" because the iOS app store doesn't allow beta products? :P
Yes. :lol:
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

skyhawko450 wrote:After I play, and leave Synthesia, [...] every instrument reverts to "Played by Synthesia".
If you head over to the Songs section in Settings and change the "Song View" option to "Always Show Advanced", does it solve the problem?

I'm wondering if the simple view is overwriting your advanced view settings.
skyhawko450

Post by skyhawko450 »

Hi Nicholas, and Thanks for responding to my question. Yes, selecting "Advanced" as you suggested seems to work. I have been able to select tracks, play, exit Synthesia, and return to "Songs", and to the track I played - and the selection is still there. I'm glad to see that. Old settings are still not there, but at least now it appears to be working ok, saving the "Played by me" setting.
Thanks a lot!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The way the simple/advanced screens have evolved slowly over time has introduced a few quirks. Today Synthesia only knows how to save one set of parameters for a given song. So the simple view buttons overwrite the more fine-grained controls you have in the advanced view.

The better answer is that those two screens should be independent. That you could do whatever you want in the simple view, then head over to advanced and have everything remain as you left it the last time you were there.