Metadata editor updates

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Another quick note: The metadata editor has seen a couple new features added in the last few days.
  • The "Import from Synthesia" feature on the File menu now lets you import hand parts in addition to finger hints.
  • You can multi-select from the song list and bulk edit metadata now.
Electrode

Post by Electrode »

Awesomeness! This will be very useful. Downloading now! :)
DC64

Post by DC64 »

I would like to see this be downloaded with Synthesia.
"And now for something completely different."
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Someday. I do expect the hand-split utility will be included in the main distribution. The metadata editor is more for content creators than it is users though. So I'm not sure how I feel about cluttering things up.
Pianotehead

Post by Pianotehead »

Where is the metadata editor, what's the URL? I downloaded it long time ago, but I've forgotten where. I use it quite a lot, to make backups of finger information. I'm always updating my MIDIs and I don't want to lose a lot of fingering work.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

It's the link I included in the top post. :D
DC64

Post by DC64 »

Instead of running it on the computer, you have to download the exe. to use it without clicking on the link.
Pianotehead

Post by Pianotehead »

Ok got it now, was on the Downloads tab, thought it was a direct link first and was surprised to see just the Wiki page.
DC64

Post by DC64 »

So allot of songs I have are listed in the wrong key. Usually C major.
Could the metadator have a spot where you could change the key signature?
Whenever I try to edit the song in a midi editor the distortion/pitch bend is usually lost.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

DC64 wrote:So allot of songs I have are listed in the wrong key. Usually C major.
That's a problem with the MIDI file. You can use a MIDI editor to fix it. I am defining "metadata" as extra stuff on top of the song data. The idea isn't to patch in fixes. The title/composer/arranger/copyright stuff is already a little too overlappy than I'd like, but those fields are used so universally inconsistently in MIDI files that it seemed reasonable.

Also: a song doesn't have to have just one key. It can change throughout. If the metadata editor were to be able to override it, it would be a technical matter that would require a little mini-language like the finger hint stuff.
DC64 wrote:Whenever I try to edit the song in a midi editor the distortion/pitch bend is usually lost.
Get a better MIDI editor. ;)
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

DC64 wrote:Whenever I try to edit the song in a midi editor the distortion/pitch bend is usually lost.
I actually noticed this. There was a topic about this. It's really weird some MIDI editors really don't mind pitchbend controls. I believe Anvil has some good pitchbend stuff?

BTW Nicholas I know a piano can't pitchbend (in some rare conditions pitchbend is possible but better not try) but is it possible you do some awesome pitchbend visualisations in Synthesia? I don't know if you've seen my MIDI's in DOS post (see link in my signature), but in the program MEGAMIDI you see the notes "bend" to the left or right, depending on the pitchbend. Can you make something like that?
DC64

Post by DC64 »

The falling notes bending would be a cool idea. (Mock-up pic?)

I know for sheet music that you could just use the pitch bend for guitar notation for any other instrument.