0.8.2 Preview r1409 - Intermediate progress

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

vicentefer31 wrote:just play an easy song without ... and after that the same song with ...
Then just use the falling note blocks. They already do that and they aren't going anywhere.

People that want to read sheet music will be able to. People that want to follow along with something much easier to use than sheet music will also be able to.

Introducing weird stretching/squashing into the sheet music display will make it less useful to the purists that want to read sheet... and still not as useful to the people that just want to use the falling note blocks.

You're suggesting that the gap between each method should be bridged when there isn't any reason to. Let sheet be sheet. If people wanted something different, it would have evolved more over the last few hundred years. Get comfortable reading sheet music and the time dilation aspect of it doesn't matter at all.

Imagine trying to convince someone that written languages should put each sentence on a new line because that will make it easier to know when sentences end. There isn't any reason to. When you learn to read and become familiar with periods, they serve just as well. When you learn to read sheet music, you don't need uniform spacing.
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

Nicholas wrote: When you learn to read sheet music, you don't need uniform spacing.
A constant speed help me with the rhythm, this is why I'm so interesting about that.
Anyway if you think that a constant speed for the sheet music is not a good idea,... "if you can't beat them, join them", so maybe you should read those post again:
gsamuelhays wrote:Nicolas,

I'd been thinking about my initial post in this thread as well as your reply and have observed my kids (11 and 13 who both take piano lessons) as well as myself with the game, strictly reading the notes portion of the screen. Even though all of us have been playing for awhile (7 years for me, 1 and 2 years respectively for my kids) - we all kind of... well, we are terrible at the game. I think I have some insight into this phenominon.

I think that the issue with myself and my family is that I tend to follow the red line, rather than read the music, since it's a visual cue for me. If there were no red line and just a tick of a metronome I'd probably not suck quite so much (although maybe!) but my kids are having the same problem... So, instead of anticipating the beat because of the note values (ie. reading the music), we are all kind of.. just following the red line, which moves erratically because of the aforementioned posts. So, while reading the music without a visual cue - the length of each measure is different but the time is kept in your ear which makes up for it. For me, though, sight is my dominant sense and if I can use sight as a crutch, I certainly do. Because this is true, I relay on the red line and lose my sense of timing... So basically, I'm complaining because I'm not all that good at the piano. :)

Anyway - I don't have any further recommendations (although I'd still argue that constant speed would be helpful) - I thought you might find my observations interesting and possibly insightful.

Thanks
Sam
TonE wrote:
gsamuelhays wrote:If there were no red line and just a tick of a metronome I'd probably not suck quite so much (although maybe!) but my kids are having the same problem...
What about an option of removing the moving and irritating red line?
Lemo wrote:aarrrgh no BALL please :o :geek: :mrgreen:
The notes you have played correctly at time in blue?
The notes you have played correctly but not in time in purple?
So you can know what are the next notes you have to play because they're in black color.
Picasso: I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Typhlosion

Post by Typhlosion »

Every upcoming note is in black color, you still don't know when the note is coming. There has to be any kind of highlight on the note itself. The red line is not a solution.
Alderaic

Post by Alderaic »

just feeling like throwing my two cents, what about a completely different kind of indicator, i.e. 1 second before playing the note it starts glowing, from lets say red to green, with the green being the exact time you should be hitting it. I mean it's just a suggestions but many approaches could work (the note stays black, but there is a glow outside)
Typhlosion

Post by Typhlosion »

I think you overrate the indicator too much. All we need is to have some kind of "jumping" indicator instead of a constantly moving one. If you need help with your rythm you could just use the metronome anyways.
Only a constantly moving indicator is the problem because you don't know exactly when you had to hit that note. And synthesia is very strict if you hit the note too late. ^^
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Here is how far along I am with the page-flip and measure/note highlighting. (There are still quite a few elements missing -- working fervently over here, even though I caught a nasty cold -- like the key signature and a few others.) But I like it so far.

Alderaic

Post by Alderaic »

very nice!
DC64

Post by DC64 »

Cool. That is going to make things more easier.
"And now for something completely different."
stefdave

Post by stefdave »

very nice ! :D
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

that's neat :]
very close to reality
when there's a person to turn the page for the player at some concerts
Stuff & experiments for Synthesia: Gramp v0.2SkinboxFireSynthVideoWebradio
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

We're starting to get there. Just a few more things I want to tackle and the preview will be going up. Maybe later tonight if I'm really fast. We'll see.
progress.png
progress.png (19.85 KiB) Viewed 12587 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Just a test I threw together with a bunch of time signature changes. I just added the key signature at the last minute to show that off too.

When I post the dev update, I'll be including a couple test MIDIs to exercise the key signatures. One file with a full set of major scales and another with a full set of chromatic major scales. There are actually double-sharps and double-flats in there now. ;)