0.8.0 Preview r1176 - Release Candidate 1

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

PREVIEW r1176 - Release Candidate 1
Download from the pink box above.

Changes in r1176 since r1171:
  • Added score buttons to mode-selection screen (and removed old, ambiguous "highest score for..." on the track settings screen).
  • Vertical sync is now off by default. Input timing should be more accurate.
  • Fixed the non-100% speed recital bug. For now we're locked to 100%. I'll add like 50% and 75% some other time.
  • Full-song metronome disabled in recital. ("Before first measure" is still there.)
  • Default window size will no longer cause a warning in the config tool. :oops:
  • r1171 can no longer submit recital scores (to close the speed-change exploit).
If no one finds bugs, this will become 0.8.0!

In the meantime, let's keep testing: Big Bad Goblin Blues, Both Hands in recital! Again, I'll be using (in-game) footage of the first page of scores for the front page video update. You could be famous. :D
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

Nasty crash when you hit the metronome button in recital mode. I sent you the crash file by email. :(
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

For as much as that type of thing makes it look like I'm not testing things over on my side, I totally am. ;) You just... keep finding ways to break it. :D
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

vsync will not turn on in full-screen mode. (Both OpenGL and DirectX.)
DirectX is the only one that works in windowed mode.

I like the new score buttons. :)
maccer

Post by maccer »

1. I got the same metronome button crash as Aria. The game froze for a few seconds and the quit. Do you need a log file or have you already found the cause?

2. Also: please consider re-enabling the full-song metronome!
Why i wanted/needed a metronome in Synthesia so badly in the first place was that it was very hard to play two-handed songs with no other background tracks giving you a rhythm. Think about it: in Guitar Hero / Rock band / whatever there's always background music - usually with drums - even if you don't press any keys yourself, but most Synthesia songs would be completely silent. When using Synthesia the users could relatively easily add a drum track to the MIDI file ( if I understood the "only 'you play' notes counts i when you select what score list to publish to" part correctly) just to get something that helps you keep the rhythm. I don't really see why the metronome should be disabled during the song - having no easy way to get a rhythm just makes playing much harder and more frustrating, especially if you miss a few notes and try to get back to sync with the song.
Songs learned using Synthesia:
CT: Wind Scene, The Trial | FF7: Prelude | SMB: Overworld, Underwater | Tetris: Theme A | Zelda: Lost Woods | Other: Für Elise
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Alright, leaving full-song metronome in. (You guys are innocent until proven guilty... I'll wait for evidence of cheating before I spend any more effort combating it. So far it looks like jimhenry is the only shady one around here. :lol: )

That fixes the crash Aria found (thanks again for the report)!

Also, the v-sync changes were a little premature, so I rolled them back. That's a pretty big change to make the day before a release. I'd prefer to get a better handle on just what I'm changing and see it through several previews before something like that goes live.

So, because most everything was just a roll-back of stuff I just added (outside of the score buttons), I'm going to forgo another release candidate and go right for release. So... 0.8.0 inbound!
Electrode

Post by Electrode »

Can you access scores for other songs using the Web-based interface at the moment? I know there is only the one specific example of "Big Bad Goblin Blues - Both Hands" above, but is this available for other songs, too?

I notice the scores are provided using ASP server-side processing in the example above - will there be some way for us to be able to edit the URL in order to see scoreboards for different songs over the Web in future?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I'm working on making scores available via the web right now. :D

I was just mentioning over here how there will be aggregate scoreboards (something like "G Major - Medium") that will combine all your scores from that category into one. That should reduce the crazy fractionation problem a little for having so many different songs each of which can have different configurations. It should also make a little mini-game possible where you can pick your battles to try and optimize your cumulative score.