So we sailed on to the bookmark-loop
Till we found a yellow line
And we lived beneath the falling notes
In our midi song

We all want a yellow line
Yellow line, yellow line
We all want a yellow line
Yellow line, yellow line
Picasso: I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

I want a yellow line toooooooooo...
Last edited by aria1121 on 06-30-10 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Nice song. :D
vicentefer31 wrote:in OpenGl I have the yellow loop line.
Found the problem. It was silly.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

PREVIEW r867
Download from the pink box above.

Changes in r867 since r862:
  • Loop indicator in margin now shows up properly in DirectX mode (and loops in the time-line that were dragged right-to-left).
  • Draw yellow lines at the begin and end of loops (ended up looking pretty good).
  • Control+left click means right click under OS X. This is done at the top level and will work for all right clicks moving forward.
This is pretty much going to be official 0.7.2 if no one finds anything critical by tomorrow. ;)

EDIT: Oops... accidentally edited the r862 post (when I went to copy-paste my little update template) so now there are two identical r867 posts in this thread. :lol:
EDIT 2: Woo! The original was still in my RSS reader's trash folder. It's been restored.
sayalaper

Post by sayalaper »

extra notes its mean wrong notes.
1 i want to know where is my works in time line that contain worng notes. i also want extra notes change by wrong notes.
2 and i want the bigger and in the center of layer like my picture.
3 i want how many hit notes completed. example if full hit notes in song is 48. half song is 24 hit notes. when running game i want to know how many hit notes completed play. not only for full not when finish but also when running game.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

All of those types of things are coming in the "Performance Analysis" and "Performance Analysis 2" features on the voting page.
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

Nicholas wrote:
  • Draw yellow lines at the begin and end of loops (ended up looking pretty good).
:D :D :D
Picasso: I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

A small bug: It seems WHEN THE SONG IS PLAYING the looping start is "seen" as a bookmark. So when I press 2 it jumps to the beginning of the loop rather than jumping to the first bookmark. When the song is not playing those 2..9 bookmark jumps work correctly.

Anyway having COMMA and PERIOD to jump among consecutive bookmarks I will not use those 2..9 "confusing solution". I would only wish there would be another function/hotkey for "loop from current bookmark until next bookmark". Then you could always do following automation, no matter how many bookmarks are available in the song:

1. Go to song starting point.
2. Go to Nth bookmark by pressing N times PERIOD.
3. Finally "loop from current bookmark until next bookmark"

Then you could shift N also by automation by pressing control-right and control-left and it would loop the next/previous bookmark segment. Somehow I have the feeling jumping between bookmarks should be automatically connected/linked to "looped playback until next bookmark". Otherways, why should we jump around. Then after being satisfied with our performance in the loop segment we would only need another "loop deactivation hotkey" to continue with the rest of the song.

Regarding the score calculation in performance mode after using a looped segment: Is always the last loop playback counting, if we remove the loop and continue with the rest of the song. I hope so.
sayalaper

Post by sayalaper »

[removed by Nicholas]
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

sayalaper: we saw your image link before and I already responded. Try to slow down on the double posting.
sayalaper

Post by sayalaper »

sorry, i learn to use BBCode Image
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

TonE wrote:A small bug: It seems WHEN THE SONG IS PLAYING the looping start is "seen" as a bookmark.
I'll have to double-check to see how I did this. This might not be a bug. I don't feel particularly strongly in either direction, but I might have made comma go back to the beginning of the loop (though I don't remember it off the top of my head right now).
TonE wrote:So when I press 2 it jumps to the beginning of the loop rather than jumping to the first bookmark. When the song is not playing those 2..9 bookmark jumps work correctly.
That is definitely a bug though. Those keys should be mapped to bookmarks, period.
TonE wrote:I will not use those 2..9 "confusing solution"
That bug would make it confusing. Otherwise, if you're still talking about the whole "bookmark 1 = key 2" thing, I don't think it's confusing at all.
TonE wrote:I would only wish there would be another function/hotkey for "loop from current bookmark until next bookmark".
Once I've got a better system in place ("User Assignable Input"), I plan to add all of these types of things you keep requesting.
TonE wrote:Is always the last loop playback counting, if we remove the loop and continue with the rest of the song. I hope so.
Yes.
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

Hi, I know why I have more extra time:
In r752= 52 fps
Now=34 fps
So I'm going to use r752 when I want to play a whole song and r867 if I want to use Bookmarks-Loop

I'm also thinking how to improve r867 and this is what I see:
new look.png
new look.png (97.35 KiB) Viewed 17817 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

In one of the recent previews (but after r752) I did notice a pretty big slow-down from some of the new stuff. I cleaned up the worst offender and got a nice boost. The debug version of the app naturally runs much, much slower than the fully optimized version you guys always get to see because it's got a bunch of debugging junk built in. So, I get to see the problem exacerbated as though I'm on an older, slower computer.

I'm going to take a note to actually look at performance in 0.8.0... none of the stuff I just added should have had ANY impact on speed. They're all very tiny checks inserted here and there. I'm just being lazy and doing things the easy way instead of the fast way. And when that starts to impact performance, I have to get un-lazy. ;)

Regarding saving loops and adding more interface to work with them, I want to let the ideas percolate a little more with you guys before I change anything. It's easy to come up with theories about how people are going to use this stuff, but once you play with it for a month or two you start to see the actual patterns of use emerge. I like the non-hypothetical stuff best because you can solve real problems. Adding just what you need to cover the cases people are actually finding themselves in will always be much better than the kitchen-sink approach that starts to increase the amount of complexity new users have to absorb and existing users have to remember.

Hehe, so if you still want those things in a month, go ahead and re-post that picture. ;) Hopefully you'll have discovered some habits emerging and maybe you'll be able to add/subtract a little more from it.
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

Nicholas wrote:In one of the recent previews (but after r752) I did notice a pretty big slow-down from some of the new stuff.
In 0.7.1. I have also the same 34fps, so it has to be something you change between r752 and 0.7.1
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Yeah, I expect that to be the case. The really bad thing I already found and fixed but this whole release there have been little things slipping in that I should have been treating a little better. To a lesser extent there are always things being added to cause slow-down.

Luckily, there is a TON of head-room for speed-up. I've never put any sort of priority on optimizing my code (computers are fast), so there is a ton of "low hanging fruit" that should speed things up pretty tremendously as soon as I take a look.
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

More ideas, I think easy and it can be useful.
When a new loop finished show an array with for example the ten last scores, and when you click the first note of the loop the array-score is hidden until you finish the loop and then show again.
array.png
array.png (76.05 KiB) Viewed 17774 times
Edit: To show a little more my idea-
Imagine you have played this "loop" 45 times, in the array-score you could see from loop 35 to loop 45... just the last ten scores.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The more data points you mention including there, the more it reminds me of something like a graph. If you could show a visual representation of how you've been doing over many loops, you could increase the density of the data to all 45 of those hypothetical loops pretty easily. That would be cool.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

TonE wrote:WHEN THE SONG IS PLAYING the looping start is "seen" as a bookmark. So when I press 2 it jumps to the beginning of the loop rather than jumping to the first bookmark. When the song is not playing those 2..9 bookmark jumps work correctly.
The best I was able to reproduce for this was if a loop is created (snapped) between two bookmarks, then using the number keys to jump to the bookmark at the end of the loop causes it to loop immediately back around to the beginning (vs. continuing on like you may or may not expect).

Otherwise, the numbers always worked correctly for me and loops didn't seem to introduce any sort of strange bookmark behavior.

I'm going to ship it as-is and see if that behavior above bothers anyone.