New Site Preview

Archived development update discussion from past versions
Archived development updates.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

maccer wrote:Usually serif fonts aren't used for headers and short pieces of text in printed publications
I see serifs everywhere these days. Constantly. And I embrace them. Soon all of you will, too. ;)

EDIT: These guys are the ones that started it (or they were nearly first, anyway). There are lots of other pages out there that follow the same formula, too. And they've all got more than your average number of serifs.
aria1121 wrote:Uhmm... When you upgrade the page?
As soon as I finish it. :D
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

Nicholas wrote:
maccer wrote:Usually serif fonts aren't used for headers and short pieces of text in printed publications
I see serifs everywhere these days. Constantly. And I embrace them. Soon all of you will, too. ;)

EDIT: These guys are the ones that started it (or they were nearly first, anyway). There are lots of other pages out there that follow the same formula, too. And they've all got more than your average number of serifs.
aria1121 wrote:Uhmm... When you upgrade the page?
As soon as I finish it. :D
Well it looked kinda finished... lol... :D
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

aria1121 wrote:Well it looked kinda finished... lol... :D
The front page is ready to go.

There are still about 15 other pages after that though, and a few of them are more than just a re-skin: the FAQ is less than half the length it used to be via rewording and dropping outdated stuff. The Feature Voting page is getting a mini-makeover. And there are lots of little pages hiding in the cracks that need to be converted too (like the old name contest page, etc.)

Still, I'm getting there. Sooner rather than later, too. If not Thursday morning, hopefully the new site will be up Friday morning.
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

Ok, thanks for info. And before the site changes: can anybody give me the old version of zelda midi? That one on the old frontpage, in the left of the screen?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Alright, all 17 pages have been converted for better or worse. Now I just need to make a killer video for the front page and I can put the new site up.

(I'm pretty sure I got that Zelda track from vgmusic.com.)
cairnz

Post by cairnz »

Are you going to put it "live" on a subsite / hidden section for additional "testing" / comments before you put it on the live page? I have a couple of web-geeks that probably wouldn't mind having a look'see.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I wasn't planning on it. It's not especially high-risk. Almost everything I've done is CSS work along with some content changes. I haven't had to touch much code at all, so I'm satisfied with putting the update right on the live site.
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

Couldnt find that Zelda-thing :( Any Help?
Here I have some suggestst:
Attachments
Rihanna - Disturbia.mid
(58.46 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Hey Oh.mid
(120.35 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
Hare Hare Yukai.mid
Original, from site.
(152.47 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
RainRD.mid
(38.01 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
Yiruma - Kiss-the-Rain.mid
This one is the - possible broken - one, but maybe it can be fixed.
(5.64 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
Marc-Andre Hamelin - Circus Galop.mid
(136.55 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

aria1121 wrote:Couldnt find that Zelda-thing :( Any Help?
Right on the G-R NES page... Legend of Zelda. First one named "Title Screen". The "Title Screen (5)" is a little more piano'y if that's what you're looking for too. All 7 of those are basically the same thing.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I'm still spinning up on motion graphics. I should have something (reasonably) cool to look at here in a day or so.

Finding a fitting piece of royalty free music to license has been a little tricky though. Two hours of listening to audio samples... wasted.
tommai78101

Post by tommai78101 »

Nicholas wrote:Finding a fitting piece of royalty free music to license has been a little tricky though. Two hours of listening to audio samples... wasted.
You could try making a poll, and that cuts your time down.

Ugh! Now, I'm not having that much free time than I used to have. :(
Hardware Information: Dell Alienware 15 R4, Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20GHz / 2.21 GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 2070 / Nvidia GTX 1060 dual-GPU, Roland FP-10, MIDI-OX + LoopMIDI combo.
Mos

Post by Mos »

http://www.taylorhayward.org/index.htm

Free stuff, Check it out. I love solo piano and I think some of them are perfect (e.g. Great Glen) :) each song has different style so listen to all of them and then decide ;)

PS: I don't know the guy or anything, i just found his website while looking for some free music for a project i am doing.

Also,

You might also want to check out:

http://artistserver.com/

Personally, I think your website is really important for you and so it should have a really good quality music, even if you paid for it. Solo Piano music lisences are really really cheep. for example David Nevue, who is a really really famous piano player, sells his lisences for 7.5 $ each. I think this amount is worth it for using his great music.

http://www.davidnevue.com/license.htm
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Wow, some of those are really nice.

So far I was getting pretty close to deciding on this track from MusicBakery. (Use the "Play Demos:" drop-down to hear the 5:04 version.)

But now I'm going to have to check out all that stuff you just mentioned. Great Glen is really good.

At first I was looking for something fast and up-beat (I had in mind a video very similar to this one -- click "Watch Demo Video") but it's tough to find piano tracks that aren't totally frantic at the same time.

So, settling on something a little slower where I can deliver some more meaningful bits of information instead of just the 10,000 foot overview isn't bad either.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The reason $47 is worth it is because it's not the usual license you're used to.

If you buy a song on iTunes for 99 cents you're allowed to listen to it as much as you want. Make CDs with it, whatever.

But, the moment you try to put that in something that you want to show others (like a YouTube video or whatever), you're breaking your license and it's an illegal use. That's why YouTube can strip the audio tracks off a video if the original copyright owner complains.

The $47 for that track is so you can use it in other things that you create to show others. YouTube wouldn't strip out the audio because you can show proof that you have a license that allows you to use it.
Mos

Post by Mos »

Yah, 47 $ is not much when it comes to lisensing. but considering that you can find some of the best solo piano players, e.g. David Nevue, for a lot cheeper prices, I think it is too much for sure. 47 could get you 6 songs from David Nevue websites (or probably other players too; i haven't looked; i am actually surprised to find that David is selling for just 7.5 $!).

I would suggest checking the original websites for the pianists, and ignoring those free royelty websites :D.

if you want to know some artists, check these websites. They both have a stream radio station and they are really good ;)

http://solopianoradio.com/
http://solopiano.com/
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Wow, you're full of good links, Mos. :D

Still, even after listening to the Taylor Hayward and David Nevue stuff, I still kind of like the pacing of the track I linked more than anything else I've heard so far. At least for the storyboard I finished up tonight it seems like the right choice.

That's not to say I didn't download a bunch of those other tracks and have them on my own playlists now. ;)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

There was a day or so of distraction, but I got back to it yesterday.

I'm scaling back a few of my ideas for the video just because I want to get back to code as soon as I can. Also, over the next few months plenty of things are going to be added or changed, so spending a lot of time trying to build something that covers only what's there now might be a little bit of wasted effort.

Anyhoo, I've got all the video assets built (screen captures, recordings, etc.) Now I just need to composite all of it together. I should have something early to show you guys tonight or tomorrow, hopefully.

Can't wait to get back to code though...